To Sift Or Not To Sift?

Baking By webberblessings Updated 21 Jun 2019 , 1:43am by rychevamp

webberblessings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webberblessings Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 11

I have a recipe I want to try. It doesn't say to sift the flour. Should I sift or not sift? 

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 11

There can be as much as a 1/4 cup of extra flour in 1 cup of unsifted flour.  It never hurts to sift.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 11

I usually whisk the top of the flour a little and measure with a spoon from there rather than fully sift and measure — just kinda fluff it up a bit — certainly some recipes are designed around the no sifting —

i mean we’re not supposed to cram the measure down into the flour container and scrape it full — that’s where kakeladi says we’d get way too much flour — and of course you haven’t said that either — but some recipes ain’t ‘sposed  ta be sifted — but fluffy flour is what I aim for on the times I don’t outright sift

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 11

I usually only sift cake flour because it's always lumpy. If I'm using AP flour, I'll whisk it with the other dry ingredients and that's usually fine. 

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 11

Yup, I’m a “spoon and level” then whisk kinda gal...but mostly because I’m too lazy to get my sifter down :).

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 11

I sift when the recipe calls for it because as kakeladi said - you can end up with way more flour than intended if you don't fluff up that compacted flour. I scoop or spoon it into my measuring cup and level off with a knife. I sift when there are spices or cocoa added to the flour. Whisking before measuring does fluff the flour up and get rid of lumps.

My older recipes call for sifted flour so I sift for those ones. I have 3 sifters - all different sizes so hey - I cannot have them taking up valuable real estate in my kitchen cupboards unless they are being used...lol. ( Heavens , I also have sieve strainers of different sizes).

I notice most people these days don't bother though. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 11

I'm probabl;y like the person K8 mentioned:  when I fill my storage container I want to get the whole bag of flour into it so I pack it in :)  I never thought of just whisking it.  Sounds like a plan :)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 11

Quote by @rychevamp on 1 hour ago

I usually only sift cake flour because it's always lumpy. If I'm using AP flour, I'll whisk it with the other dry ingredients and that's usually fine. 

Yes @rychevamp same here.

I've converted all my recipes to weights (pounds, ounces, or grams) so there is never a worry about compacted flour.

When I have a recipe where I'm adding lots of dry ground spices to the recipe, I put the spices in a bowl with the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda etc. and gently whisk it all until I can see that the spices are well blended & disbursed. 

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 11

I weigh my flour using 128g per cup of APF or 112G per cup of cake flour no matter what the recipe says. 

If I'm subbing cake flour for APF or vice versa. I still use the weight of whatever the recipe was written for... if a recipe calls for 3 cups of cake flour, I'd use 336g of flour even if I were using APF, which would actually be 2 5/8 cups.

After weighing my flour, l whisk in the leaveners & salt (spices and cocoa, too), then sift them together, whisk, and then sift again.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 11

Most often, I do as -K8memphis described, fluff up the flour, then spoon it into the measuring cut and level.  For a few recipes, I do sift and I always like to sift cake mixes when doing a WASC version.  They always seem to be sort of lumpy.

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 21 Jun 2019 , 1:43am
post #11 of 11

Quote by @MBalaska on 4 hours ago

Quote by @rychevamp on 1 hour ago

Yes @rychevamp same here.

I've converted all my recipes to weights (pounds, ounces, or grams) so there is never a worry about compacted flour.

When I have a recipe where I'm adding lots of dry ground spices to the recipe, I put the spices in a bowl with the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda etc. and gently whisk it all until I can see that the spices are well blended & disbursed. 

All of my recipes are in weight as well.  If I try a new recipe, it gets converted as I make it. I can't stand measuring cups. Too many extra things to wash, and too many variations in weight so who knows what you'll end up with. It's just way more accurate and a lot easier to multiply the recipe.

One of my main cakes has sifted cake flour. So, I sift it, weigh it, add the leaveners, then sift again. It makes a difference in the texture of the cake. But, then one of the chocolate cakes I make, doesn't matter if it's sifted or not, it will still lump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%