Do You Use A Mix Straight From The Box? Not A Debate Scratch Vs Mix!

Baking By kakeladi Updated 1 Jan 2020 , 3:09pm by kakeladi

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 15

This is NOT meant to start a mix vs scratch debate!!!   Just trying to find an answer for problems people are having w/the WASC recipe   If you’re using a mix are you having any problems with it?  Are they baking up w/o problems?  What brands are you using?  Please feel free to tell us anything that might help solve this issue   THANKS for your help:)   

14 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 15

I never use cake mixes straight from the box, but use the *Original* WASC recipe frequently, completely without issues.  I use Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, and Pillsbury cake mixes, probably more DH than any of the others.  Most of the time, I add an extra 1/2 cup of cake mix per single recipe to compensate for the reduced size of the boxes, because I want the extra volume and density.  I have baked the recipe without adding the extra 1/2 cup of mix and it worked just fine, too.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 15

I use WASC all of the time and have never had a problem having them cook perfectly in my cupcake, 6" and 8" round cake pans.  I am going to be baking a few 6" and 8" squares plus a 12" round this weekend so we will see what happens, but I am not worried.

I have used both Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines mixes.  I don't let my ingredients come to room temp.  I do mix all the dry ingredients together before adding the wet.  Then once the wet is incorporated I bump the speed on my KA to 6-8 and let it mix for about 2 minutes.  I bake at 325.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 15

I also use WASC, and the only issue that I have ever had was with sinking in the middle. That was more of me opening the oven to rotate pans, though. I've never had any problems with the rise of my cakes or cupcakes. Duncan Hines is my go to brand.

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 15

i've baked many 12" and a few 14" rounds, using this recipe, and they worked well.  When using the larger pans, I use several baking nails/heat core thingies (5 per pan).  I bake at 325 to 340 degrees F., depending upon how much patience I have that day.

angesradieux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angesradieux Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 15

I use the wasc recipe with 1/2 of either cake mix or flour. Both worked, but it rose a little more with the extra cake mix than it did with the flour. I used Pillsbury white cake mix, though if I make it again I'll probably try a different brand because I didn't love the flavor with the Pillsbury.

I have not tried it in a larger pan, though. I've only used it in 7" and 5" round pans. I did have it sink in the middle once, but that was my fault. I opened the oven to rotate the pan and ended up accidentally banging it against the side of the oven. Other than that, I've never had problems. I also have never used a hand mixer. I just combine everything with a whisk and haven't had any problems with it so far.

kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2019 , 2:15am
post #7 of 15

Thanks to all who have contributed here   I hope what has been said so far will give encouragement to those who are having troubles   Keep the info coming folks :)   Who knows when something might be said that helps figure things out 

kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2019 , 2:18am
post #8 of 15

And yes adding more cake mix instead of flour will make it rise more because there will be more baking powder also :) 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 Apr 2019 , 2:26am
post #9 of 15

with a box mix when I'm not making Kakeladi's WASC...……….

I just add the box with the recommended ingredients, then add 1/4 cup AP flour, 1/4 cup gran. sugar and 1/4 cup sour cream.

bake as the box recommends,  Enjoy.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Apr 2019 , 4:02am
post #10 of 15

I love Kakeladi ‘s chocolate wasc and CakePro amazing lemon cake recipe 

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 26 Apr 2019 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 15

I haven't use a cake mix straight from the box for yeard. I always use the original wasc recipe for my vanilla cake without any problem. I use almost exclusively Duncan Hines (I'm in Canada if it makeds any difference in the composition of the mix). I never add extra mix to compensate for the smaller box. The only time it came out a bit different, is when I made a caramel version usine a golden cake mix (probably Duncan Hines too, but I'm notamment sure...) and butterscotch instant pudding. The cake came out with a lot of big air bubbles, a little more dense and with a sticky top. It was still delicious though and was all eaten with great joy!

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 26 Apr 2019 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 15

Oh I forgot, I always sift my cake mix with all my dry ingredients too.

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Apr 2019 , 3:29am
post #13 of 15

I tried an experiment tonight, using kakeladi's original WASC, strawberry version.  I used Duncan Hines Strawberry cake mix, added 1/2 cup of additional cake mix, 1 cup of plain flour and substituted pureed fresh strawberries for 2/3 of the water.  I got to thinking, shouldn't there be a little more baking powder, due to the additional plain flour?  I added 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and the resulting cakes baked up taller and seem to be lighter than ever before, without a single hint of a droop in the middle.  I baked in 10" pans in a 325 degree F. oven for about 50 minutes.

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 28 Apr 2019 , 2:53am
post #14 of 15

When we had our restaurant, we always served cake with the daily lunch special.  I got very good at whipping up the WASC recipe.  I threw everything in a bowl and whisked it together and poured it into the pans.  Into a 350 oven for 45 minutes and levelled, out of the pans and into the freezer (just to cool off).  Then I had just enough time to get it frosted and cut before the lunch run started.  Never sifted anything, didn't do dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, never added any extra mix.  It came out perfect every time. 

We would get a big group of oilfield guys for our catfish every Friday and if we didn't have maple bacon cake, they were NOT happy. And then there was one who wanted me to divorce hubby and marry him so I could make him carrot cake.  Yeah, right.  Occasionally I would do a fresh apple cake if I had extra time which wasn't often.  WASC was my go-to and definitely the best. Any flavor.

kakeladi Posted 1 Jan 2020 , 3:09pm
post #15 of 15

Just revisited this & thought to resurrect it for any who might be having a problem with your baking :)  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%