My Wasc Will Not Rise!

Baking By jatnight Updated 25 Apr 2019 , 5:11pm by SandraSmiley

jatnight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jatnight Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 9:36am
post #1 of 3
'm sorry this happened to you but I'm also glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. I have been using the WASC recipe for over 8 years and have never had one to fail until now. I've just made 10 batches and not one rose in the middle. I am so frustrated. I did everything like I've always done and I've tried everything I know to try. I baked some at 350, some at 325. I used cold eggs on some, room temperature on others. I beat for 2 minutes on my KA at speed#2. I used a flower nail in the center. I used baking strips around the outer edge of the pan. I used an oven thermometer. I even went as far as to use my neighbor's oven for a couple of them. Made no difference. I tried a different brand of cake mix. Didn't help. I used more of the brand I usually use but bought some with a longer expiration date even though the ones I had used at first were not expired. I did not open the oven door until the cake had been in the oven an hour. I tried the 8, 10 and 12 pans. No difference. I am at a total loss. I am getting very nervous as the wedding cake is due soon and I don't know what to try next. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
 Reply  Reply All  Forward
2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 3

I’m beginning to think there’s been another change in the mixes   Many yrs ago something similar happened & we finally found the mix recipe had been changed  (if  I remember right it was long before the reduction of size)   You mention using different brands - could you tell me which ones you used?  I ‘m soooo sorry you are having problems   The other thing I’m wondering about is your saying that the cake was in the oven for an hour then state the size pans —all of them what I consider “small” & should have been done in 30 minuets-certainly no more than 45   Did you leave them in hoping they would rise better?                  Is anybody using mixes straight w/o making it WASC ??   If so please let us know if you’re having any problems 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 3

The last time I baked a cake using the *Original* WASC recipe was the end of March.  It was a two tier, 9" and 6" chocolate and vanilla marbled cake.  I baked at 340 degrees F., and had no problems.  I don't remember exactly how long it took for them to bake, but it was between 45 minutes and one hour.  I have another cake coming up soon, for which I will use the same recipe, so I am anxious to see how it bakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%