Freezing Filled Cake?

Decorating By lbeard Updated 13 Apr 2019 , 2:34pm by SandraSmiley

lbeard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbeard Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 2:19am
post #1 of 5

Trying to do my son's birthday cake in steps to work with my schedule. Can I bake the cake, torte it and then stack the layers with buttercream between them and then wrap and freeze the whole thing? I've seen how to freeze uniced cake layers and even fully decorated cakes, but I want to know if I can do something in between? No crumb coat necessary in the final product, so it would just be the cake layers and the buttercream between them. Would that work? Advice? Thanks!

4 replies
Jessica32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica32 Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 3:03am
post #2 of 5

I've never done this but it sounds like a fine idea to me. I froze a cake that I had layered and crumb coated, I frosted it while it was frozen and that gave me some big problems like cake farts (as someone here told me aha). So I would just let it thaw completely before frosting because they expand as they thaw. I'm sure someone who really know what they're talking about will comment as well, that's all I got.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 4:04am
post #3 of 5

Definitely   If a whole decorated cake can be fzn a filled one can as long as the filling withstands fz’ing which b’cteam does 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 4:07am
post #4 of 5

I don’t ice fzn cake -had problems doing that so thaw it a couple of hours   I usually would put in the frig overnight to thaw   

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 5

They freeze perfectly, when well wrapped, with the buttercream filling in place, without a crumb coat.  I've frozen them this way frequently, but my favorite way is to go ahead and crumb coat to save more time down the road.  Like kakeladi, I thaw my cakes in the refrigerator overnight, still wrapped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%