Dedicated Cake Fridge

Business By KitchenSix Updated 13 Apr 2019 , 2:52pm by SandraSmiley

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 9

So, it seems like I may finally have by ball rolling! I’m all booked up for April, and even have some orders for May! Woohoo!

That being said, it’s been a long time coming that I’ve needed a dedicated cake fridge, and with business picking up, it’ll be sooner than later.

So, what do you guys have or recommend? Do you have a fridge with a freezer, just a freezer, just a fridge?  And then if you have a side by side or top and bottom fridge/freezer?  I don’t think I side by side would be big enough, so I was thinking of a fridge/freezer top/bottom combination.  What do you guys think?

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 9

The one thing I can say is please don’t get a side by side!  Unless something new has come out they are just to narrow to fit anything larger than 10” in   My suggestion is for a top Fzr or separate frig & frz  

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 9

That’s what I was thinking about the side by side!  I think I’m mostly between get a stand up freezer, or one with both.  I’m not sure that just a freezer would be good enough, though, so maybe like a French door fridge?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 9

Depends on how much $$ you have:)  I think a French door would cost much more than getting a smallish separate freezer & frig    I don’t know it’s been years since I bought any:)  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 9

when I bought fridges according to size -- I took along and fitted my largest cake board inside -- a 20" if memory serves -- because at that time I hadn't perfected my little system -- more on this later* --

yeah side by sides are usually too narrow depending on what you're doing though -- I used my sister's side by side to hold my great niece's cake and it worked great -- held a 16" -- although I learned over time to *keep the largest cake (for a tier cake) on a board the same size as the cake and placed it on a separate plateau upon delivery --

my commercial fridge was my favorite -- each shelf held a full size sheet pan and it was only a fridge -- no wasted space -- just a big beautiful box -- it had a clear glass door that opened majestically and utterly out of the way -- loved it -- decide how much you need a freezer -- it hummed louder than a home fridge but I only plugged it in when necessary --

french door fridges have so many bells and whistles -- they just seemed too cluttered inside to me -- I liked wide open spaces --

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 9

I found out the hard way if your cake fridge/freezer is in the garage the freezer wont’t work when the garage gets below freezing in winter time.. long disastrous story, but if your fridge is in the garage, you need this expensive sucker :(.

https://www.garageappeal.com/gladiatorgaragerefrigeratorfreezerset.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQiAj4biBRC-ARIsAA4WaFg9WMbvbTwQ2nGfYBr307I5vDdoXtrS6DzEVjU9Lq04UNZMJDp8luQaAmQVEALw_wcB

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 9

Or a fridge plus a totally separate freezer.

Rachel_n_VA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel_n_VA Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 9

I have a French door fridge with a bottom freezer.  The freezer is a drawer and I have a tough time putting decorated cakes in there without smudging them.  I miss my old-fashioned top freezer when I need to freeze something I've decorated.  Maybe if it weren't just my regular kitchen fridge, that would be different.  But if I were buying a dedicated cake fridge, I would go with a top freezer.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 9

I do not have a dedicated cake refrigerator, but I do have two.  The main one in the kitchen is a large, French door, side by side refrigerator-freezer.  It is fine for kitchen use, but not so much for large cakes, even though it is a large model.  The much smaller one is in the pantry and it is the refrigerator on the bottom and the freezer on top type.  I always use it for cakes because its shelves are much larger and easily accomodates my large cake boards.  I have a medium size chest freezer in the basement that I use when I want to freeze cakes.  

I along time ago, I had two commercial coolers, like -K8memphis (but mine were for exhibiting roses, lol), and they are absolutely fabulous!  I especially loved them at Thanksgiving when I cooked for about 40 people.

As a fantasy, I've considered a third refrigerator (how many do two people need anyway???) dedicated to cakes and I always look at nice used ones on Marketplace.  Here is the link.  You just need to specify your area

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/711537319244077/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%