Does Anyone Know How To Make Shiny Looking Blue Sea On A Cake?

Baking By Sonjy1948 Updated 13 Apr 2019 , 2:08am by SandraSmiley

Sonjy1948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonjy1948 Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 5

HI,  

Some years ago I used to work in a school and one of the children's  mothers made  a cake for her daughters teacher. It was absolutely beautiful.

The theme was the seaside and she had made a cliff,  the sand and the blue sea with little seabirds swimming on it. What intrigued me most was how she made the sea.  It looked like blue glass , it appeared almost transparent and had little  flecks of white foam at the edges. I have tried so hard to find out how this could be made. I should have asked then but it was the end of the school term and they moved away before the new term started.

Does anyone have any ideas? 

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 5

you could use piping gel for the blue and buttercream for the white

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 5

That’s what I would do.  If that isn’t exactly what you want Maybe use gelatin by using less water—like 1/2 or even less but if you do be sure you have a strong border to contain it   You might want to color the area a light green or blue 

angesradieux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angesradieux Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 5

You could also use poured sugar. You can line a cake pan with parchment paper and use either more parchment paper, aluminum foil greased with cooking spray, or a combination of both to make a dam to create a piece of sugar glass that will cover whatever portion of the surface you'd like. If you put some blue and/or teal gel coloring down on the parchment paper and then swirl with a toothpick/knife/skewer after pouring the sugar, you can get a nice marbled blue, or you can color the sugar before pouring if you want it more uniform. For the white border, if you swirl the color in, you should be able to leave the edges transparent. Alternatively, you could either paint the edge with white gel color and/or white pearl dust. If you want to add some dimension, you could pull some uncolored sugar and play with that. If you make a thin ribbon to line your blue piece and use scissors to snip at it and cut a jagged edge, you might be able to make it look like sea foam.

I haven't tried using bits of sugar as sea foam, but I have used poured sugar as water before. If you want an idea of what it looks like, you can see the cake in my gallery with the unicorn laying by a lake. I brushed that with a little bit of luster dust for a bit more shine and painted the edge with gold cake paint. Replace the gold cake paint with white, and it may achieve the sea foam look you're after. You can see another example of a sugar glass lake in my gallery with the swan cake topper. The swans were sculpted from pulled sugar with no coloring, so you can get an idea of the opacity and shade of white you can achieve with pulled sugar if you wanted to try that for the sea foam. You could also try adding a drop of white food coloring, but I've never used white coloring with sugar, so I'm not sure how that would look.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 2:08am
post #5 of 5

It sounds to me like it was made from Isomalt or hard candy/boiled sugar.  It would be easy to tell because it would be hard.  I've made a swimming pool with tinted piping gel which looked pretty convincing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%