The Trush About Buttercreams....

Decorating By CakeJoy2019 Updated 11 Apr 2019 , 1:46am by SandraSmiley

CakeJoy2019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeJoy2019 Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 6

Hi! So I'm a newbie to this whole cake biz and I'm trying to figure out the best buttercream. I know for sure I pretty much HATE American buttercream but will use it for kid's cakes (Yay sugar rush!) and decorations. I've tried Cooked Flour/Ermine buttercream which I love and have perfected (I think!). I will be trying Swiss meringue buttercream this week to see which I like better.

My question is which is more stable? Between the two, which works better in heat? I've read so many different websites stating that SMB is the professional's choice but some say it doesn't hold up to heat (while others state it does). And then there's Italian buttercream, which I've read is the most stable and again some say melts the easiest. What is what and which is which??

Thanks for all your input!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 6

the best buttercream is the one that works best for you and your project -- honestly -- it's personal preference -- american buttercream can be as good or better than any of the others if made well --

butter melts at around ninety degrees -- shortening has a higher melting point but butter tastes better so...just depends on what 'best' means to you -- i'd say icing made with butter is best -- but not everyone will agree -- so the best one is 'the one that works best for you and your project'

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 12:35am
post #4 of 6

Well it only makes *2* cups   One would need like what? 5 pkgs for most cakes:(   That’s a lot of “dough “ $$ 

-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 12:57am
post #5 of 6

two cups -- omg for eight bucks -- we should be selling it, lynne --hahahaha

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 1:46am
post #6 of 6

What will they think of next?!  As one who makes her own ganache, ABC, SMBC, fondant, modeling chocolate, gum paste, cake lace, and edible fabric, I don't think I will be buying powdered Swiss Meringue Buttercream!

BTW, I make all of this stuff because it is my hobby and I am cheap, not because I am a homemade snob, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%