How Do You Make These Scalloped Cakes?

Decorating By Cake-Girl1968 Updated 10 Apr 2019 , 9:06pm by -K8memphis

Cake-Girl1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Girl1968 Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 1:47am
post #1 of 13

I'd love to make these cakes with the wavy edges. Do you think there is a pan that does this or is it carved015-21.jpg

12 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 2:49am
post #2 of 13

It appears to me that the fondant is scalloped at the top edge, not the cake.  The shape could be cut, then the fondant wrapped around the tier, then piped for details.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 4:51am
post #3 of 13

I agree with Sandra   When the pic is enlarged you can see that there is cake above the top of the fondant on that 3ed from the top tier 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 12:05am
post #4 of 13

check out margaret braun's bright red, beautiful,  gold edged book "cake walk" -- she is the master of that look -- i'd say it's both carved cake and piped to get it right --

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 2:47am
post #5 of 13

So, these tiers appear to be a version the wavy cake trend from a few years ago that were all the rage. The downward curve was cut out. And a way to make the upward curve higher was to place the cut out piece on top in the space in between, creating a deeper dip and higher rise. I recall seeing a tutorial back then because I fell in love with it! People were using it to make carrosell cakes, ballerina cakes, and crown cakes. This particular cake does not look like they used the parts that were cut out as the dips are small.  I spent quite a bit of time last night searching to see if I could find that dang tutorial but I was not successful. If I find it I will post. But these deff look like they're cut out, by the looks of the lighting.

Sandy

Cake-Girl1968 Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 13

Yes, I agree that the are cut out but I also could not find a tutorial either. I did check out margaret braun's work also - AMAZING!

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 13

How Do You Make These Scalloped Cakes?

I've made a very similar cake. I baked a round cake and carved out the top

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 13

Quote by @Cake-Girl1968 on 1 hour ago

Yes, I agree that the are cut out but I also could not find a tutorial either. I did check out margaret braun's work also - AMAZING!

I love her -- her book describes her creative process -- thrilling

Cake-Girl1968 Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 13

Your cake looks amazing!! Does her book explain how to do the carving? I'm thinking I can use round cookie cutters around the sides. Did you fondant it in two steps for the sides and the top?

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 6:54pm
post #10 of 13

no it does not explain that -- I would fondant it all at once -- hey as gscout said. "And a way to make the upward curve higher was to place the cut out piece on top in the space in between, creating a deeper dip and higher rise." yes place the cut out on the space in between... upside down blush

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 7:15pm
post #11 of 13
This is how I did it.

Ganache a round cake. Get a piece of round parchment the same size as the cake and keep folding it in half until you have the number of sections you want. Put the parchment on the top of the cake and with cocktail sticks mark each section on the edge of the cake. Using a cookie cutter smaller than each section mark the curve on the top of the cake and below the edge (you can put a bit of masking tape on the cookie cutter so the depth is the same on each scallop) Carefully carve out the scallops. Ganache the sections you have just carved out. Ice the cake in one piece of fondant exactly the same as you would a round cake.

Cake-Girl1968 Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 7:44pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense!

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 9:06pm
post #13 of 13

you also need to taper the bottom of each tier to get the look of the picture in the first post

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%