Vanilla Wedding Cake Help.

Baking By Samm09 Updated 19 Feb 2019 , 6:25pm by SandraSmiley

Samm09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samm09 Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 8:57am
post #1 of 3

Hi there,

I have the honour of making the wedding cake for my brother-in-law and future sister- in-law but have concerns regarding falvour of cake!

I asked if she wanted mud cake and she said "No, just vanilla - not sponge though that's gross"

So, I'm confused... I've only ever done mud cake for weddings but usually use Bakels buttercake or other for Birthday cakes.

I don't want to make something from scratch and want to use bakels or similar... what do I do for Vanilla cake that isn't sponge?? Is the buttercake suitable for a two tier semi-naked cake??

Thanks in advance!!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 3

I’m not familiar with your brands   I guess this bakels is what we call a box mix   If so is there a “white “ mix   That ‘a what I’d suggest 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 3

I take it you are in the UK or at least not the US?  There may be some confusion as to what comprises a sponge cake.  Most layer cakes are defined as a sponge (such as a Victoria Sandwich), but in the USA, a sponge cake is a chiffon cake, made only with beaten egg whites.  It is a totally different type cake than a regular sponge, much lighter and almost marshmallowy in texture. 

I am not familiar with Bakels either, but guess it is a cake mix. ....Googled it!  Yes, cake mix.  A vanilla or French Vanilla should be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%