Shelf Stable Butter Cream

Baking By Bakesfromscratch Updated 18 Feb 2019 , 5:57pm by kakeladi

Bakesfromscratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakesfromscratch Posted 17 Feb 2019 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 8

I’m preparing to apply for a cottage food industry license. My state requires that butter creams be “shelf stable”. Apparently, they don’t allow butter in the recipe. Have any of you come across this requirement? If so, what recipes for butter cream are best in this situation?

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Feb 2019 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 8

I know you can make American Buttercream from all shortening and using butter flavoring to help compensate for no butter, but I don't know if that will work with Swiss Meringue Buttercream.  I've seen recipes that use half butter and half shortening, but never an all shortening version.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 2:31am
post #3 of 8

I’ve heard that the sugar “transform”a b’Cream w/1/2 shortening &1/2 butter safe    It surprises me you can’t use it    I keep it at room temp for up to a week    Maybe dbl ck otherwise I guess you will have to go w/all shortening   Try using the 2 of everything recipe w/lots of butter flavoring   Good luck 

kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 2:31am
post #4 of 8

I’ve heard that the sugar “transform”a b’Cream w/1/2 shortening &1/2 butter safe    It surprises me you can’t use it    I keep it at room temp for up to a week    Maybe dbl ck otherwise I guess you will have to go w/all shortening   Try using the 2 of everything recipe w/lots of butter flavoring   Good luck 

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 4:46am
post #5 of 8

How is butter not room temp stable?  

I have always left my butter sitting in a butter dish on my table till I use up the whole stick. It has never gone bad...  Melted when it got to hot before I had AC... but never went bad...

Let alone once you add the sugar to it?  

I wouldn't call it "transforming" but the hygroscopic properties of sugar do create a fairly inhospitable environment for most bacteria...

I don't see why the standard american style buttercream wouldn't be considered room temp stable... it is in Ohio for sure... 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 8

I have made SMBC once with shortening for my friends daughter's birthday as it was really hot and as much as I was really against using it  actually found it  to be quite pleasant once I had added a fair bit of vanilla and a small amount of butter flavouring to it, I imagine the egg whites in it would make it classified as non shelf stable though?

kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 8

Ha ha   I could not think of another word but transforming

kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 8

Yuck  can’t get posts right    It cut off 1/2   Remember what she is dealing with here is an inspector who can inturpet the rules as they wish   I found that out myself 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%