Cake Texture Issues

Baking By gimmealldemcats Updated 2 Feb 2019 , 3:51pm by cutiger

gimmealldemcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmealldemcats Posted 1 Feb 2019 , 6:53am
post #1 of 6

Dear fellow bakers Cake Texture Issues

I am a very new to baking but I love it so much and want to get better at it quickly.

Now my issue is, I always end up with cakes that taste great, but have a crumbly texture or get big holes throughout my layers, even though I follow the recipes to the T and make sure not to under beat or over beat my batter nor overbake/underbake it, and my oven temp. is accurate and my leavening products are fresh.

My goal is to be able to bake cakes with a dense, tight crumb texture, from scratch, just like this picture!Cake Texture Issues

I came across this cake on reddit but the baker did not share the recipe for it. Would you please share your wisdom with me regarding this texture issue or show me recipes that end up creating a perfectly dense and moist crumb, like the pic above!

Thank you guys :)

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Feb 2019 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 6

A lot has to do with the recipe.   I have always baked with mixes and have a special recipe that will produce something similar to what you pictured.  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe   To reduce holes Once the pans are filled w/batter let it sit at least some 15 minutes or so and most of those bubbles will rise to the surface where you can take a toothpick and break them.  Aother way is to drop the pan onto the counter {yes *hard*! :) } several times (right after filling) to break the bubbles.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Feb 2019 , 12:14am
post #3 of 6

Ditto everything kakeladi said and her recipe is fabulous and famous in the industry with hobby baker and professionals alike!  The picture you posted looks like a pound cake.  That is the only kind of cake I know of that has that smooth a texture.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 2 Feb 2019 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 6

Agree, it’s the recipe. Takes years to perfect certain cake recipes. I have the Cake Bible cookbook by Rose Levy Beranbaum. Invaluable. It not only has recipes, but how too’s, and most importantly the “why” of baking. Baking is a science. Besides this I have tried and true recipes from Liz Makek/Sugar Geeks and My Cake School (I’m a member, but there free recipes too. They have done the hard work of perfecting the recipes.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 2 Feb 2019 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 6

It does look like a pound cake to me too. And what they said, bang the pan on the counter hard several times.  Works like a charm and there is something so delightful about being able to bang something on purpose....gets rid of frustrations!  Lol

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 2 Feb 2019 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 6

It does look like a pound cake to me too. And what they said, bang the pan on the counter hard several times.  Works like a charm and there is something so delightful about being able to bang something on purpose....gets rid of frustrations!  Lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%