First Wedding Cake Ever!

Decorating By npaganpanos Updated 11 Jan 2019 , 9:50pm by kakeladi

npaganpanos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
npaganpanos Posted 11 Jan 2019 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 2

Hello beautiful people, greetings from Florida, USA!

I have been a baker for 3 years, just family and friends, no charge.  Got my first ever paying order and it is for a wedding in August.  I have no idea about pricing,  so I hope you can help me.  The cake is 3 tiers: 6" round, 3 layers vanilla/chocolate/vanilla, rum simple syrup and vanilla buttercream.  8" square 2 layers chocolate ezpresso with strawberry filling and vanilla buttercream.  10' square is vanilla with condensed milk filling, bourbon simple syrup and vanilla buttercream.  It will have 9 gold cake lace decorations and 18 royal icing flowers.

I need to know how much base price per serving and how much for the extras would you charge.  Also what would it be a.good starting per hour fee for labor.  Do you.charge for delivery, set up, tasting, etc. And if you have a great vanilla and chocolate cake recipe good for stacking that would be awesome.  If you can also share about sttawberry fillings and vanilla buttercream recipes that iare not too sweet it would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry such a long post.  Thanks in advance for your help!

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2019 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 2

There are soooooo very many elements that go into procing a cake besides the info you have offered us.  My suggestion is to charge around $3 to $5 per serving.  I didn't charge for delivery.  To me it's my responsibility to deliver and set up the cake.  Do you want some bride sending a teen boy in a pickup truck to collect your lovely wedding cake then cry her eyes out that you gave her a smashed cake??  As for tastings, I usually charged a fee that was applied to the cake if/when ordered.   You ask about pricing for extras.  Don't even consider pricing each flower of other decorating as that should be included in the price you come up per serving.   I mean you wouldn't like going to a resturant and ordering a steak or shrimp 'dinner' then have them tell you the salad, potato and vegetable is each an additional cost would you?   OR go to buy a car only to have them say the frame is XXX$$$ and the engine is another XX$$ then each tire is another X$.   That's why it is so important to know your costs including but not limited to the cost of you insurance, cost of equipment used to create the cake, the lessons you took, the cost of living in your area, the total and complete cost of ALL ingredients and packaging you put out, the cost of your utilities, rent/house payment (the place  you do your work in) and on and on :( 

Here are cake and icing recipes that I used for years on my wedding cake orders :      https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe          https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%