What Flavors Do You Think Of?

Baking By KitchenSix Updated 9 Jan 2019 , 11:38pm by jchuck

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 6 Jan 2019 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 12

What flavors do think of when hear ‘banana split’ cake?  Thought it would make a fun layer cake, but not completely sure on what flavors to actually go with.  Maybe banana cake, vanilla SMBC with cherries inside, vanilla out? Ganache drizzle, of course, with cherries, banana chips, and sprinkles to garnish.

What do you guys think?  What would be a good flavor combination?

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2019 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 12

do banana splits usually have three different kinds of ice cream? maybe that was just back in the old days or something?

but whipped cream, pineapple sauce, chocolate sauce, bananas, cherries  and nuts and wasn't there one other kind of sauce?

i'm hungry now...

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 6 Jan 2019 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 12

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of pineapple sauce on a banana split! The ones I see are usually done with vanilla iceceam, fudge topping, whipped cream, nuts, and a cherry!  Don’t why I didn’t think of nuts instead of sprinkles!

CHoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHoxie Posted 7 Jan 2019 , 1:24am
post #4 of 12

Dairy Queen did pineapple sauce.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2019 , 2:41am
post #5 of 12

choxie -- yeah!

did they have a strawberry sauce too? I think they did and the maraschino cherries on top 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 7 Jan 2019 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 12

Here in Canada a banana split is 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream. Topped with chocolate fudge sauce, strawberry sauce, sometimes with or without fresh strawberries and fresh pineapple. Then of course whip cream, walnuts and a cherry on top right in the middle.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 4:41am
post #7 of 12

I have no idea how banana splits are made now, don't really like them a lot, but as -K8memphis said, they used to sometimes have one scoop of vanilla, one of strawberry and one of chocolate ice cream over a split banana.  There was chocolate sauce, pineapple sauce, and caramel sauce and, of course, nuts, cherries and whipped cream. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 12

For a cake I would use plain, or golden or French vanilla cake with a strawberry buttercream filling with priobably choco icing then top it w/nuts (around the edges?) and writting in white b'cream tio look like marshmallow cream.

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 12

Sorry, I don't pop in very often these days but I see a great need for research on this one, and lots of it. Time to check out the world's best banana splitters and report back, all for the sake of accurate caking, of course. (Unfortunately I won't be much help as the land down under is rather replete of this delicacy.)

jchuck Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 12

Ahhh Cher2309b 

Your an Aussie. Banana splits are really an American thing. Kinda snuck over the border to Canada and got popular here too. 

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 11:37pm
post #11 of 12

Oops ... correction: is NOT replete

jchuck Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 12

I knew what you meant!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%