Anxiety

Business By inthekitchen2 Updated 9 Jan 2019 , 6:35pm by jchuck

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 5 Jan 2019 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 9

I'm sure I have anxiety issues anyway, but I deal, and nobody would know. However, I am getting massive anxiety that I will have the wrong date for someone's order. It just started during the weeks of Christmas orders. I had a massive amount of orders, and had everything timed down to the last minute, but during that time I had: 3 people show up hours early (one order still had about an hour's worth of work to do), 4 people ask if they could come a whole day early (impossible with as many orders as I took), and 2 people asking what time they could get their order that day (their order was for the next day, and not even started!). 

In most of these cases the customers knew they were asking for their order early, or showing up early, so I could kindly tell them I had back to back orders and it was impossible, but for the 2 people asking about picking up their orders that day, they really thought it was that day, and these orders were for a party, and I seriously got sick to my stomach, both times I had to run to the toilet, checked documentation, they were wrong on the day, let them know, they were fine with picking up the next day as originally stated, but the one that showed up to my house hours early really thought she as in the right on time, (though she wasn't, but I wasn't going to argue), and she came back later and got her finished order.

Anyway, since then, any order I have huge anxiety that I, or worse they (because I can't predict people) will get their date wrong and show up without their order being done. I've stressed about this with the 4 orders I've had since Christmas. I look over their invoice/emails/re-listen to their voicemail to make sure of the date, I always make a point to say "Sunday" with the date, or whatever day it is, just in case they have the wrong date, and the day itself might trigger something. I don't know. Husband says I need a break, it's causing too much stress. I did have a break after Christmas, but am looking for advice on how to handle my anxiety over this. I literally take a breath when they don't show up at my house at their scheduled time on the day before the order is due. Help!

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jan 2019 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 9

Oh how I can understand your problem!!     Such serious anxiety was partly what caused me to end my decorating carrer :(   Like you I  often had my head in the porcline thrown when a cake was due or a client was due to walk in the door.   It seems to me part of your problem is due to what you just went through and will ebb away over probably a short time.   Listen to you husband.  You need a break to help you get over this.  Maybe limit  yourself to just 1 or 2 orders a week for a month or so?       Even though I am not decorating any more I still am having aneity problems - when I have to go to work or even a drs appointment etc. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Jan 2019 , 3:57am
post #3 of 9

Do you use a contract for your cakes?  If not, maybe you should start because one of the things specified in the contract is the pick up date.  If the customer has a signed copy of the contract in his hand, he has no wiggle room to argue about the due date.  

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 6 Jan 2019 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 9

Firstly I agree with kakeladi that you deserve a break. Secondly, agree with Sandra 100% about having a contract. My advice is to confirm in your email the date in large bold capital letters. Then if possible, send a reminder email to your customers day before pickup stating your cake order will be ready for 

_______________ fill in the blank day, date AND time. Sometimes a reminder is all the customer needs.  Even with all that, you’re not going to stop this 100%. Unfortunately people are people. There not perfect, make mistakes, including screwing up pickup dates!!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 7 Jan 2019 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 9

I read once that you have to repeat yourself 5 times for the other party to "connect" with that information. I believe that re sending confirmations and pick up times will alert the customer to re verifying the date and time. One at deposit, one at full payment, one three days out, etc (or as fits with your schedule). 

I also believe that most customers don't know how a small business works, especially one that involves fresh food. My adult kids do that to me too (and they have SEEN the process)! ("I'll just come pick it up on Tuesday instead of Wednesday...") SEESH! Once I repeat "it's not ready...." the original date stays put. 

Part of dealing with it is KNOWING it will happen and just being prepared with "fixed" answers and/or policies and procedures. You can't protect people from their own mistakes, and just have to confirm that the "mistake" is not on your part (seems like you have that well covered). 

And we all need a break when life hits hard...especially after the holidays!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 7 Jan 2019 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 9

I read once that you have to repeat yourself 5 times for the other party to "connect" with that information. I believe that re sending confirmations and pick up times will alert the customer to re verifying the date and time. One at deposit, one at full payment, one three days out, etc (or as fits with your schedule). 

I also believe that most customers don't know how a small business works, especially one that involves fresh food. My adult kids do that to me too (and they have SEEN the process)! ("I'll just come pick it up on Tuesday instead of Wednesday...") SEESH! Once I repeat "it's not ready...." the original date stays put. 

Part of dealing with it is KNOWING it will happen and just being prepared with "fixed" answers and/or policies and procedures. You can't protect people from their own mistakes, and just have to confirm that the "mistake" is not on your part (seems like you have that well covered). 

And we all need a break when life hits hard...especially after the holidays!

jchuck Posted 7 Jan 2019 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 9

Well said johnson6ofus...

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks all! I find a little peace in knowing I'm not the only one that stresses about this. If someone shows up early, it's not like I want to invite them in while I'm working on it. Can you imagine a client staring at you working on their order? That, and the huge mess that we all have when working on an order. 

I had a couple of orders go by this past weekend just fine. I feel more at peace. The orders for this upcoming weekend I feel confident in, in regards to the communication. I emailed each with "I have you marked down for pick up on Saturday, Jan. 12th @ 10:00 AM", or whatever it is. I feel doing this, if there is a problem with the time or date, they'd let me know. They usually just say thank you. I guess it's like the doctor/dentist office just confirming the appointment. It just got crazy at Christmas, and maybe I don't need to do huge holiday orders. The money is nice, but working around the clock and the stress, besides the holiday and having 5 school-aged children got to be a bit this past holiday season.

jchuck Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 9

inthekitchen2

Wow 5 school aged children AND holiday orders!! You are a braver soul than me. You must be a very organized person and have a helpful husband. I’m extremely organized, but helpful hubby, in as much as decorating, nope. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%