How Can I Stack A Tiered Cake Without Messing Up The Edges That Meet??? Help!

Decorating By Laucolren Updated 25 Nov 2018 , 10:32pm by SandraSmiley

Laucolren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laucolren Posted 24 Nov 2018 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 4

HI

When I stack my buttercream cakes, I have a very hard time with the bottom edges. Every time I lift it off the stand to stack it, the edge cracks and sometimes sticks to the  plate and breaks off. I usually have all tiers in the cooler overnight before i start stacking them too...

Can you tell me something that could help? 

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Nov 2018 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 4

1st off, b'cream should not 'crack off".  Sounds like you are using a very dry/crusting recipe.  If the cake is on a cake circle/board it will not stick to the plate so be sure to have the cake on a cake circle just a bit smaller than the cake -- like an 8" round cake on a 7" board.  Slip your off set spatula under  to lift the cake  enough to get your fingers under it.  Every tier needs to be on it's own board for proper support.  Dowels in the lower tier hold up the cake so if there is not a cake circle those dowels will just push through the cake and not hold it up. 

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 24 Nov 2018 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 4

I always run a sharp knife under and around the whole cake before I transfer it.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Nov 2018 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 4

I like to use my large offset spatula to lift the cake and help place it.  It also works well to reposition, if necessary.  I usually run a small bead of buttercream around the joint between the two cakes and smooth it with my finger.  Any damage is repaired at the same time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%