Changing Regular Sugar To Sugar Substitute Question

Baking By smile22 Updated 15 Nov 2018 , 11:09pm by jchuck

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 14 Nov 2018 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 17

I have two fantastic cupcake recipes I use as my base one chocolate and one vanilla I’m wondering if I were to replace the regular sugar for a sugar alternative would that mess up the fluidity of the recipes. 

i would use Splenda baking blends or a truvia or pyure sweetener instead 

my frostings would be made the same just using sugar free powder sugar 

anyone bake sugar free here. I’m diabetic I usally don’t eat my sweets as I bake for others but I want to offer other alternatives. I found a sugar free cake mix that I made a bunt into and Couldn’t tell it was sugar free  but I’d rather make my stuff from scratch 

16 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 2:11am
post #2 of 17

I have baked without sugar, but using stevia. You couldn’t tell. Also used maple syrup and honey, but that wouldn’t be sugar free for you, as those two mediums turn into sugar in the body. I personally won’t use Splenda. I have a daughter heavily involved in nutrition and she informed me how bad Splenda was. But that’s my personal choice. Here is a recipe for chocolate cake I have used for a close friends daughter with many intolerances. It does call for maple syrup or honey, but I used stevia instead. Icing is tricky. It’s super ripe avacodo, cocoa and maple syrup. Never tried the stevia for the icing. But you probably could and using a little milk for the liquid required.

https://theloopywhisk.com/2017/10/31/best-paleo-chocolate-cake-ever-gluten-dairy-free/

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 3:59am
post #3 of 17

I've never made a cake without any sugar, but I have, several times substituted Stevia for like 2/3 rds of the sugar and we couldn't tell any difference at all, in texture or taste. It was for a bundt cake, though, and I did not make frosting.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 17

i have a couple recipes i can contribute -- i'm finalizing another grant application -- it's due today -- it's all ready just have to deliver it -- super tired -- had so much going on yesterday -- but what i'm saying is -- i will put them out here before too long, the recipes i mean -- and what we do is -- there's two of us -- i use stevia and he uses sugar so after it's served we add those if needed --

but also i got this tigernut flour i mentioned before and it's a little sweet as is so it's nice to use gluten free to --

but my recipes are for cookies and cobbler not cake so ...to be continued before too long

jchuck Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 17

Excuse my ignorance Kate, but what is tigernut flour??? I use Bob’s Red Mill one to one flour for gluten free baking..

jchuck Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 17

Excuse my ignorance Kate, but what is tigernut flour??? I use Bob’s Red Mill one to one flour for gluten free baking..

-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 17

the autoimmune protocol diet i'm on is where i am gluten and grain free so somebody came up with this -- it's good

https://www.amazon.com/Anthonys-Organic-Tiger-Gluten-Non-GMO/dp/B072J8YZXK/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1542295084&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tigernut%2Bflour%2Borganic&th=1

-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 17

it's said to be grainy but this one is extra fine -- no worries

-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 17
-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 17

no, it's a tuber like a potato

jchuck Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 17

How fascinating Kate. My daughter should have been a nutritionist. She research’s absolutely everything that goes into our bodies. Ingested and what we put on our bodies too. Our wheat use to be healthy for the body. But growing practices...inferior types of wheat, added chemicals, poor soil, how it’s milled, have all added to the wheat being adulterated. Changes the food value, and possibilities of what it does to our bodies. It’s all about production and profit, not health.

jchuck Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 17

Yes, I googled and it’s not a nut, but a tuber. I discovered a pasta called nupasta. Not wheat at all, but made from some plant source. Unfortunately, extremely expensive for a very small amount. The tigernut flour seems reasonable. Can’t be purchased on Amazon here in Canada.. :0(

-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 7:11pm
post #13 of 17

good for her, june!  i'm sure she knows all about this -- glyphosates -- i think i spelled it right -- it's a  pesticide that also dries out the wheat or oats or whatever -- they put it on the crop probably all the way through the growing cycle but especially  when it's harvested so it is drier -- it goes right into the cherrios box -- literally -- they are feeding us pesticide -- really -- seriously -- ridiculously --

round up = glyphosates -- there's all kinds of lawyers out to get the money now -- there's a huge lawsuit this year that gave the dying man a lot of millions -- so now it's game on -- but for those with compromised immune systems like moi -- it's important to eat as clean as possible so... tigernut flour it is -- it's good -- i just don't really experiment with cakes -- i guess i should -- but i prefer fruit heavy desserts so i am getting the goodness of the fruit at least kwim -- cake is hardly redeemable as food when you think of it in my circumstances -- even though i made my living with it for a lot of my life - ha!

but i mean i am to the point where everything i eat needs to heal and not hurt -- it's Real Real Hard -- but it's helping too so it's good --

i like your daughter's style for sure!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 7:56pm
post #14 of 17

......... growing practices...inferior types of wheat, added chemicals, poor soil, how it’s milled, have all added to the wheat being adulterated. Changes the food value, and possibilities of what it does to our bodies........

This is sooooo true. That's why so many of our OLDER recipes no longer seem to work/come out right :(     And why I ended up having to make minor changes to the WASC recipe once I found it (some 30? yrs ago.  It was in a 30some yr old magazine then so the actual recipe for WASC would be more than 50 yrs old now)   Those changes made it *my* recipe and the original part is because some other baker changed it even fruther to suit her wedding cake sized orders and everyone was getting confused as to which recipe was the *original* WASC.

jchuck Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 9:36pm
post #15 of 17

Kate my daughter and her good friend have a website and a facebook page. FB page is member only. There not  just about food but sustainability in general. 

https://www.simplygreenmums.org

We're definitely NOT buying Cheerios anymore. We usually buy organic cereal. Had Cheerios on hand for grandkids. We've been buying organically grown fruits and vegetables. We can afford, but most young families can't. Price is prohibitive. Too many large corporations in the pocket of politicians so there not forced to change there practices. Not just food. One very large chemical company in particular starting with "M" ending with small "o"...is THE most evil.  What they have perpetrated on our food system, and still are, is criminal. I have seriously considered milling my own flour. 

And your correct Kate...we should eat to nourish,  sustain and heal our bodies.

kakeladi 

Yes, your correct, changes in the wheat have changed cake mixes. Hence, the wasc recipe would change. I know there's a big debate about cake mix vs scratch. I prefer scratch, but have no problem with anyone using a cake mix. Trouble is cake mixes, unlike when I was a child, are full of unnecessary and harmful chemicals. If I buy cake mix it's organic.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 11:00pm
post #16 of 17

.........We're definitely NOT buying Cheerios anymore.......

Oh crud......now I can't even enjoy my snack?! :(

...........Trouble is cake mixes, unlike when I was a child, are full of unnecessary and harmful chemicals.........

All in the name of shelf life.

jchuck Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 11:09pm
post #17 of 17

kakeladi 

“All in the name of shelf life”.... Absolutely. And getting a “fluffier” textured cake...through chemicals of course. Couldn’t possibly achieve with natural ingredients..(I write sarcastically). I mean when you have people buying a chemical to add to the dishwasher so your plastic will dry “perfectly” without streaks or spots..you shake your head. All mind added to our overburdened water system. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%