Gel Food Colors

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 3 Nov 2018 , 12:48am by ginger6361

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 2 Nov 2018 , 2:47am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone else have an issue with food colors fading? Went to color my frosting,  and found my purple comes out blue. My sky blue looks black! Internet says food colors don't expire,  but do they fade? Or change some how when old? Thanks 

8 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Nov 2018 , 3:01am
post #2 of 9

I've never had any to fade while still in the container.  I have experienced a lot of fading of flowers and figures, after they been made for a while, especially purples and pinks.  Sometimes black turns green.

ginger6361 Posted 2 Nov 2018 , 5:05am
post #3 of 9

Thanks so much for responding.  They were open used containers,  but fairly old, so I don't know what happened.  But through them out anyway. 

ginger6361 Posted 2 Nov 2018 , 5:05am
post #4 of 9

Thanks so much for responding.  They were open used containers,  but fairly old, so I don't know what happened.  But through them out anyway. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Nov 2018 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 9

............... They were open used containers,  but fairly old.............

I know things have changed over the years but....back in about the 1980s I inherited lots of cake supplies including paste colors that judging by their lables had to be about 30-50 years old and they were just fine.  Have you put anything in the pots that could have had icing/sugar on it.....like do you use toothpicks. dip in the gla & swirl it into the icing then go back for more with that toothpick?   Interducing sugar to paste/gel color  could be causing them to go bad.

ginger6361 Posted 2 Nov 2018 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I do use toothpicks so could be the culprit. . Or maybe I'm just getting color blind. Lol

ginger6361 Posted 2 Nov 2018 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I do use toothpicks so could be the culprit. . Or maybe I'm just getting color blind. Lol

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Nov 2018 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 9

Like you, kakeladi, I had my very first little Wilton box of gel colors, some of them for probably 30 years, and they didn't change in the least.  I finally finished them off once I started cake decorating as a hobby.

ginger6361 Posted 3 Nov 2018 , 12:48am
post #9 of 9

Now I feel bad I thought they were expired.  Lesson learned. Thank you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%