Whip It & Marshmallow Fluff

Baking By barbnyc718 Updated 7 Nov 2018 , 7:54pm by kakeladi

barbnyc718 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbnyc718 Posted 27 Oct 2018 , 12:23am
post #1 of 9

I was at the grocery store today with a goal of finding some Dream Whip to make indydebi’s icing recipe. They didn’t have it, but I found something called Whip It. The brand is Dr. Oetker and on the pouch it says, “stabilizer for whipping cream”. Is this supposed to be similar to Dream Whip? Will I be ok if I use the Whip It?

Also, I bought a container of Marshmallow Fluff. I read it in a book that you can use it to make icing.  Has anyone tried making icing with the Fluff? 

My goal is to try to make an icing that won’t melt on me. I had recently made a batch of cupcakes and used DH icing and it melted on me. ☹️

I need an icing recipe that will hold up during transport. If any of the experts out there can compare the two icing recipes I mentioned and which one would be best for me to use would be much appreciated! 

Thank you! 

8 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Nov 2018 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 9

I've never heard of Whit It or making frosting from Marshmallow Fluff.  Seems to me you need a way to keep your cakes cool while transporting.  Be sure your cake is well chilled before you start the trip.  

I've used this method and it works a charm!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2018 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 9

i agree with sandra -- climate controlled packaging is the answer -- except the only thing with that video -- is that box needs to be upside down -- so you don't have to lift the cake up and down that far -- save your back -- and put the cake in the lid or open the box up on the side  like a door -- or put that box on it's side --

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2018 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 9

Here's a buttercream recipe that shoiuld meet your needs:   https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing.  I've used it inseveral areas of the US w/o problems of melting. 

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Nov 2018 , 12:29am
post #5 of 9

I agree, -K8memphis!  I forgot to mention that I open my box from the front so I can just slide the cake inside.  Unless you need to travel a considerable distance or the temperature is extremely high, two bottles placed in the back are enough.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2018 , 1:45am
post #6 of 9

+1

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 7 Nov 2018 , 9:52am
post #7 of 9

The two tips I can give you for hot, humid areas are to not use butter in your icing, and to ice your cake or cupcakes a minimum of 12 hours ahead of time and leave at room temperature.  If you use popcorn salt instead of table salt, your icing won't be gritty.  You can use butter if you don't need the icing to crust, but still ice 12 hours ahead of time.  

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Nov 2018 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 9

cutiger, may I respectfully ask why you recommend leaving the cake or cupcakes at room temperature for 12 hours?  I've had zero luck leaving cakes at room temp, even overnight.  The want to get melty and saggy and our house is air-conditioned.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2018 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 9

I also would like to ask cutiger why not use part butter?  Granted I have limited experience w/hot *humid* weather but I have used the recipe I posted above in both areas (Hot, dry CA and hot, humid, wet northern IN) and had no problems.  I really think using partg butter greatly helps with the taste.  I have never used popcorn salt and don't get gritty finished results w/the "2 of everything: recipe".   Leaving product at room temp isn't required w/the recipe either.  Yes, it might not hurt and maybe helps a bit but not that important as I have done 1,000s of cakes w/o that.  Much more important is the recipe used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%