Help Please

Decorating By Mirinda Updated 17 Oct 2018 , 7:56pm by kakeladi

Mirinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mirinda Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 2:05am
post #1 of 9

Help PleaseCan anyone help me ? I have someone wanting a cake similar to this but I’m not sure how they got that texture on this gold fondant and how you make the white fondant look torn around the edges? 

8 replies
tennacvol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tennacvol Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 2:23am
post #2 of 9

Gold leaf would be my first guess.  Have you checked that yet?

Mirinda Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 2:53am
post #3 of 9

It crossed my mind but it’s not sold locally and I don’t have time to order it, so I was hoping it was something simpler...

Mirinda Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 2:55am
post #4 of 9

Also it’s the texture not the color I’m going for... 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 3:46am
post #5 of 9

The gold part of the tiers appear to be textured ganache to me, but you could achieve the same look by texturing fondant with a dresden tool, toothpick or similar.  If you use ganache, you could mix gold luster dusts with melted cocoa butter to make a paint or for fondant, you would mix gold luster dusts with alcohol to make the paint.

The torn effect is created by unevenly trimming the fondant around the top edge and appling it around the tier instead of draping it over the top.  The ends are overlapped and the top end left loose and trimmed unevenly for the torn effect.  The edges are then accented with gold (again gold luster dust mixed with alcohol).

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 5:18am
post #6 of 9

Crumpled up foil? Crumpled it up. Unfold and use like an impression mat? 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 9:02am
post #7 of 9

Looks to me like they took a palette knife to dark/milk chocolate ganache then painted it gold.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 9:03am
post #8 of 9

Also you can dry brush ganache to get gold like that, I use antique gold but I can't remember the brand, it is considered edible in Aus. You could also spray it with an edible gold.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 9

What Sandra said:)  The uneven edge of the top tiers might be created 1st as Sandra said, &/or very lightly roll a toothpic or ball tool over like you would make a ruffled edge

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%