Question: Best Way To Do A Chocolate Image Transfer?

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 13 Oct 2018 , 9:04pm by kakeladi

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 8 Oct 2018 , 3:33am
post #1 of 14

I have done them for sometime now, but I hate using Wax paper to trace over with the melted candy. Is there a better way or thing to use other than Wax paper?

I used a plastic cutting clear mat...was great! But found that the candy melt stuck to the mat and destoryed the images. Any ideas what would be better than Wax paper or Saran laid flat and taped?

I did learn today to use my small crock pot and small mason jars for my candy melts and cellophane for piping cones. LOVE IT!!!!

THANK YOU!

13 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2018 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 14

I always used plastic wrap - much easier to remove - less breakage.  Just be sure to get the plastic wrap smooth over the pic you are tracing.

2txmedics Posted 9 Oct 2018 , 12:49am
post #3 of 14

Kakeladi!!! Long time No talk...as I  years. Learned ALOT from You....so plastic wrap....wow.

I haven't done a cake in some time....so can I do a regular image or best to mirror and use the bottom as my main i.age to show.....

I did one regular print....let it dry and image looked chalky. I know I can paint it with candy melt...any way to get a Shine on the image?

THANK YOU!!!! TAKE CARE

kakeladi Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 12:20am
post #4 of 14

Aaawwwhhhh sucks :(  It's nice to hear you remember and I was able to pass on so much of what I learned.  Most of my knowledge is old fashioned now :  But.....where have you been?  I've been right here all that time.  Altho I have very limited access to a computer I come whenever the  library is open for my 2hr a day 'fix' :)   I haven't done a cake in a couple of yrs now and boy do I still miss it like crazy! 

I mostly did fzn b'cream transferes but a couple of choco - & those were very simple silloutes as I remember.  Any royal work - lace, transfere, ets are best done on plastic wrap - as I said, far less breakage.  When the items is ready,  to  take it off, slip the item on the plastic wrap to the edge of a table, and gendly & slowly pull down on the plastic wrap while holding your hand on top of the item until it is like 75% off the plastic, then you can pick it up.    As I remember all except fzn b'cream is used w/the bottom down....just like applying any other ready made deco to a cake - it's just that they are far more delicate than most. 

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 2:46am
post #5 of 14

Have you tried cellophane?  It's on my list to try.

2txmedics Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 9:41am
post #6 of 14

I use cellophane to make piping cones, which I found out is a lot easier and so easy to maneuver the piping. It's excellent I learned it on YouTube.

Kakeladi... so for chocolate are you saying I do need to mirror the image? It has been so long since I've done a cake. I did try one just printed the image and did it right side up and it was a bid chalky. 

I need to know how to prevent that and also if I can make the image shiny and if so how?

And I have been here I've just been so busy that I had not logged on I haven't done any cakes in a while. Did you stop making cakes?

2txmedics Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 9:41am
post #7 of 14

I use cellophane to make piping cones, which I found out is a lot easier and so easy to maneuver the piping. It's excellent I learned it on YouTube.

Kakeladi... so for chocolate are you saying I do need to mirror the image? It has been so long since I've done a cake. I did try one just printed the image and did it right side up and it was a bid chalky. 

I need to know how to prevent that and also if I can make the image shiny and if so how?

And I have been here I've just been so busy that I had not logged on I haven't done any cakes in a while. Did you stop making cakes?

2txmedics Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 9:42am
post #8 of 14

kakeladi Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 7:34pm
post #9 of 14

I was sort of forced into retirement :(  I ended up sell off 99% of my equipmnet - just have a few pans, a small spatula, a couple of colors, and of course books, books, books :)  Actually only 3 or 4 now - and boy do I miss it all. 

As I remember when I make my choco image I pust puped it on plastic wrap - just one color - of a skier going downhill so when it was hardened I just romoved it from the plastic and slapped it on the cake. 

I really stinks that so many older pix got lost when this site revamped a few years ago :(  So many of at least my pix were lost.  I have no way to putting back the few I have photos have :( 

2txmedics Posted 11 Oct 2018 , 12:40am
post #10 of 14

Oh no! All that Art of Cakes You Had! I'm sorry....But I do recall some....and I followed you...and even printed a few recipes that are in my binder.

I just dabble in cakes...But YOU! OMG!

2txmedics Posted 11 Oct 2018 , 12:40am
post #11 of 14

Oh no! All that Art of Cakes You Had! I'm sorry....But I do recall some....and I followed you...and even printed a few recipes that are in my binder.

I just dabble in cakes...But YOU! OMG!

2txmedics Posted 13 Oct 2018 , 1:59pm
post #12 of 14

Ok, Image day as they are due tomorrow....

So, Should I do the Image in a Mirror image, so that its backwards? for a best result? or can I just print it normal (facing forward which is correct if y our looking at a image) and will I get a good looking transfer?

How do I make it SHINEY??? The image? Candy melts....

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 13 Oct 2018 , 5:48pm
post #13 of 14

You need to make mirror image unless printed forward and mirror image are the same.  I am not sure about making candy melts shinny but you can brush them with pearl dust and it will give it a sheen

kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2018 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 14

Yes, as ropalma said, don't know of a way to make choco melts shiny.  You could try lightly brushing w/piping gel? (after its on the cake)  But then it would remain sticky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%