Please Help :( My First Very Unhappy Customer.

Business By maria_stoff Updated 23 Sep 2018 , 8:46pm by kakeladi

maria_stoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria_stoff Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 8:47am
post #1 of 16

Hi Everyone,

Please forgive me for any mistakes and waffling, this is my first post. I read everyone else's all the time but this is my first time writing. 

I received a phone call a week and a half ago from a lady requesting a christening cake for Sunday just gone (16th). She said she had seen my previous ones on my website and that they were nice. I asked her if she could email some pictures across of what she had in mind. She emailed later that day with two cake pictures. One was a simple cake with a cradle on the top and a sugar paste bow along the base and the other was a pink cake with a bow on the top but the sides and edges were completely covered in little flowers. She requested in her email to have a plain square pink cake with white writing with a little cradle on the top but simpler than the one in the photo she sent and then a few flowers along the edges but not as many as the ones in the image she sent (sorry, a little long winded). Oh and no bow either. Anyway I made the cake on Saturday and delivered it to her house on Saturday evening. She had paid a £10 deposit.  To my absolute horror when I was checking the address on her previous email I had seen that I'd got the colours pink and white the wrong way around (NEVER AGAIN. Lesson learnt I promise!) I was already at her house when I realised and so I knocked on the door and apologised profusely and said to her that I could go home and change it. She waved her hands and said no this will have to do and then shut the door. She was planning on paying by banks transfer. Anyway I got home and an hour later her husband called me to say that they were very disappointed with the cake and it was not what they had in mind at all. He then asked me to collect the cake to fix it and 'make it better'. I said I would but as I was leaving he then called again and said his wife would bring the cake to me instead. So I got all my tools out and was trying so hard to keep it together. I waited 40 minutes (she lives 15 minutes from me) and she still did not arrive. In the end I called her because my nerves couldn't stand the stress of it. She answered sounding harassed and said she would not be coming she was far too busy with christening preparations and that she was currently in the supermarket desperately looking for something to make my cake look better. I was devastated. She said there were no hard feelings but she had to go because she had lots to do but promised to get in contact after the christening to sort out the money. I emailed her the Sunday evening apologising for the colour mix up and that I was really sorry that she was unhappy with the cake and that I would take £15 off of the price if that was acceptable. I have only been doing cakes officially since February and knew it was inevitable that I couldn't please everybody but I had no idea it could hurt this much :'( I thought that was bad enough but she then replied to my email saying that the cake was 'grotesque', 'unprofessional' and so embarrassing that she couldn't serve it at her christening and that she bought supermarket cakes instead. Those are just to name a few of what she said. Each one feels like a massive slap to the face and I have been crying so much ever since. She also said that she would not be paying for the cake, that she'd like her deposit back and that I should come and pick the cake up. I emailed back very politely thanking her for her feedback but unfortunately as it was a last minute order and that she had accepted the cake I could not return the deposit. Just to add as well which I forgot to mention earlier, she had the specific points but also said in her email that she would leave the rest to my expertise. She then told me in her later email that I had no expertise whatsoever, which hurts so much. 

How do I ever get over comments such as these? I feel like I never want to make one ever again! I've attached a picture of the cake I made. I've been decorating for 2 years. Should I give it up?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. 

Maria x

Please Help :( My First Very Unhappy Customer.

15 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 16

easily you can get over this -- as you described this fiasco she's an ass -- of course  you would not allow her to define who you are  --she's a random stranger who does not count --  she's something you scrape off the bottom of your shoe -- makes a big stink and is soon gone --

before I read your post I looked at that cake and absolutely adored it -- it's charming -- well decorated and professional -- as I read I caught the color difference right away -- but this person took it  to heights and lengths like on  a steroid -- it's nothing but adorable --

however what I think and what the lady thinks doesn't mater -- it's what you think -- so it's up to you on that score -- you know you did your best and you owe it to yourself to know and believe the truth about it --  you ran into some people who took advantage of you -- do not run her statements over  and over in your head -- only you can stop that track from playing -- find the good things, the compliments that have been paid to you and put those on the video tape and play that over and over and over --

and on that score for next time -- do not ever apologize profusely --- once or twice max -- if you need to say in person then in writing as you offer a refund -- which yes hang onto the deposit --

gotta go drink coffee with my husband -- I might have more to say in a few -- you got this though!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 16

I want to know how you did the lettering -- I really really like it

-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 16

is it a stencil

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 16

Firstly Maria your cake is adorable, despite the colour mistake, and very professionally done. As K8memphis said, just ignore this customer. She was beyond rude. You can be disappointed, but there is no need to be rude, and completely offensive. And how do you know customer actually bought a supermarket cake and didn’t actually serve yours??? She easily could be lying. Sometimes it’s all about intimidating and bullying so customer can get ot of paying. Sadly, this is happening more and more. 

A couple of suggestions. Always ALWAYS, get FULL PAYMENT for your cake before delivery. And minimum 50% deposit. Since this was a last minute order, I would have expected full payment by Wednesday for an order Sunday. In this case, you would have got at least 80% of your fee. Even if you had “fixed” the cake. Which I personally don’t think was necessary. And always tell customers you never ever copy a another decorators cake design. You take inspiration and do your own design based on pictures customer sends you. That’s always a biggie. It’s amazing how customers think there cake should be EXACTLY like the photo or likeness they provide. This customer may have expected the cake to be an perfect copy of the combined cake photos. 

Hard lesson Maria. But don’t cry anymore about this customer. Move on and learn from your mistakes. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 16

Yet again, -K8memphis took the words right out of my mouth!  Your cake is adorable and you know it!  Just look at it!  This individual is a dispicable person and should in no way influence how you feel about yourself and your ability.  No refund and no more contact.  Put a lid on this one and let it go.  Keep up your beautiful work.  Pretty soon, you will be able to look back and realize that the fault and blame goes directly to this person and has nothing to do with you.

P.S.  I hope her store bought cakes cost her a bloody fortune!

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 16

Anyone who describes a cake like that as "grotesque" and "unprofessional" clearly has a few screws loose. I'd bet that they would have found something to complain about no matter what, even if there wasn't a mixup with the colors. As others have said, write it off and move on. You're not going to make her happy and you're going to spend way too much time and effort trying. 

Also, we see similar stories on here so much that I feel like there should be a big banner at the top of this website for bakers starting businesses: write a clear and definitive contract, have EVERY customer sign it, and get payment in full BEFORE delivering a cake. 

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 21 Sep 2018 , 3:54am
post #8 of 16

The cake is beautiful!! The customer sounds like a very unhappy person who makes others feel badly just to make herself feel better. There is no reason to be unhappy with that cake. Honestly the color mix-up looks very appropriate for a christening so your mistake didn't ruin anything, especially since I'm betting the customer's attitude was already spoiled before you showed up with the cake.

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 21 Sep 2018 , 3:54am
post #9 of 16

The cake is beautiful!! The customer sounds like a very unhappy person who makes others feel badly just to make herself feel better. There is no reason to be unhappy with that cake. Honestly the color mix-up looks very appropriate for a christening so your mistake didn't ruin anything, especially since I'm betting the customer's attitude was already spoiled before you showed up with the cake.

Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 21 Sep 2018 , 10:59am
post #10 of 16

How could a person even think about calling that cake grotesque?!  It is absolutely adorable and in no way unprofessional looking!  Do not "give up" because of one ridiculous, miserable person!  

Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 21 Sep 2018 , 10:59am
post #11 of 16

How could a person even think about calling that cake grotesque?!  It is absolutely adorable and in no way unprofessional looking!  Do not "give up" because of one ridiculous, miserable person!  

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 21 Sep 2018 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 16

What I see is a very cleanly executed, professionally done cake. I would consider a 10% refund on such a minor mix up to be very generous. In your case, I would definitely NOT give her back the deposit and if she makes a big deal out of it, tell her to go pound sand. Having said that, there is a lesson to be learned from this person- always accept payment before the cake is handed over. I really think this is a case of buyers remorse. 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 21 Sep 2018 , 2:01pm
post #13 of 16

You're going to let one ridiculously behaved customer question your skill? No. DO NOT give up! Your cake is very adorable, and very well executed. The only thing grotesque was her attitude. You offered to fix it, and waited for her to bring it back. She did not. I would offer a small % for the color mix up, and absolutely nothing else. Please, please, please do not do any more orders before being paid in FULL before you start baking (and triple check order details). I get my money in full no matter how big or small the order is. Don't let this make you question your ability. You're very capable, and do very good work!

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 22 Sep 2018 , 3:19am
post #14 of 16

Your cake is adorable.  These people are crazy.  I'm glad you stood your ground and said last minute order equals no refund.  Anyway if it was so horrible (which it is not in any way, shape, or form) she could have said something to you as you delivered it.  I am so sorry she was so mean do you.  Your cake is beautiful and clearly you went above and beyond to "make it better".  (((((hugs))))))

-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2018 , 2:02pm
post #15 of 16

maria_stoff -- what happened?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 8:46pm
post #16 of 16

Just now seeiing this post.  I agree w/what all the others said...what an adorable, well done, creations!  Be proud of your work.  We all have had at one time or another a similar problem w/a customer who was soooo very rude.  We have had to learn to have duck backs.......let the rude comments roll off.  Yes, you have learned something from this experience but don't let it stop you from going on and creating more wonderful, beautiful cakes :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%