Cardboard Round On Bottom Tier?

Decorating By missmaegan Updated 9 Sep 2018 , 5:07pm by CakeItGood

missmaegan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmaegan Posted 6 Sep 2018 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 5

So I am working on a two tiered cake for the weekend and I'm curious-do you guys use a cardboard round under your bottom tier in addition to your main decorated board? If so, what is the best way to secure the two? I'm thinking without the round under the bottom tier I will have to place my cake on the decorated masonite board before covering and decorating which could get messy. Thanks for your input!

4 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 6 Sep 2018 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 5

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.  When it comes to fondant covered cakes I leave the cardboard and secure it to the main decorated board with duct tape.  I just find it easier to move a cake with a board under it then trying to remove the cardboard and then placing the cake.  For buttercream I place it directly on the decorated board, slide pieces of wax paper under the cake to protect the board and frost away.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2018 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 5

you can adhere it with a blob of buttercream smeared around -- yes i use boards under all the tiers -- 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Sep 2018 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with K8.   I have often used icing as the adheisive but sometimes used just masking tape loops - so it is double faced - stickes to the masonite board and the cake cardboard. 

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 9 Sep 2018 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, I do this on all cakes. A few squares of Double sided 3m white mounting tape secures the cardboard to the plate. I use it on top of my SPS separater plates as well,helps with more secure transportation. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%