Subbing Yogurt In Cake Mix

Baking By Gabrielle105 Updated 26 Jul 2018 , 1:04am by LindsayH

Gabrielle105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gabrielle105 Posted 23 Jul 2018 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all you cake people! I'm making a cake this weekend using pillsbury butter golden as the base. I'm wondering if I can sub all/ part of the water called for with fat free greek yogurt (caramel), leaving the rest of the ingredients the same.  Any tips? Is this a terrible idea? Would it be better if I added/ subbed anything else as well?

Thanks everyone!

3 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 24 Jul 2018 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 4

I have never tried to sub yogurt for water. My guess would be that the yogurt would change the pH of the batter. Are you just trying to get a caramel taste to the cake. Maybe some caramel essence?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jul 2018 , 12:53am
post #3 of 4

Some people have sub'd yogurt in my *original* WASC recipe BUT........sub it for the sour cream, not the water.   I think the batter will be too thick if you just use yogurt instead of any liquid.  I think This is one of those things you are going to have to work out yourself - and then report back to use :)

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 26 Jul 2018 , 1:04am
post #4 of 4

I’ve subbed plain greek yogurt for part or all of a recipe’s milk or buttermilk before. It definitely makes a denser cake, like a bundt cake. 

If it’s the caramel taste you’re after, though, I doubt that would come through very strongly in the final bake. You’d be better off going with whatthedogate’s suggestion of adding caramel essence instead. Or maybe a caramel frosting?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%