Emergency!!

Decorating By KMSmith1 Updated 18 Jun 2018 , 2:33am by TruCake

KMSmith1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMSmith1 Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 8

Last night, I covered this cake with fondant. It has settled, cracked, torn and is just horrid now. Even the isomalt jewels have stopped blinging. Please advise me. This is due for delivery tomorrow for a sweet 16. All the cake supply stores are closed and I have no more navy blue fondant. I feel terrible. I am certainly closing this business before it even really starts. Thank You So Much for your swift assistance. Can it be salvaged on anyway? My husband and kids told me to add a ton of bling and glitter and that would help, but I cant remove whats already there because it will further tear the cake.Emergency!!Emergency!!Emergency!!

7 replies
GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 12:24am
post #2 of 8

Honestly, I would remove the fondant and simply re-ice it and cover in buttercream instead. You may not be able to get the navy color overnight, but any color blue would look good. Just save your little isomalt pieces and attach them to buttercream.

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 2:36am
post #3 of 8

I agree.  Take off that fondant and re-ice in blue buttercream.  Do you have access to some blue gel color?  Did you make your own fondant? 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 3:59am
post #4 of 8

If you have navy blue colouring (or can make it with what you have) then I would be making a batch of fondant quick smart so it can rest a little while you get that cake back to bare bones and re ice it. As you can make fondant I would choose to do so rather than present the cake differently to promised if I could.

This is the recipe I use and it's fantastic, I rarely use fondant but still find this easy to work with 

https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/775913/ready-made-fondant-vs-homemade

Search the posts for the recipe by costumeczar - it looks hard but once you get all your ingredients together it's really easy to make.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 12:09pm
post #5 of 8

those gems have a brief shelf life -- some need a little silver or gold backing to be pretty -- just like a real rhinestone --

sorry you're going through this -- we mostly all have had cake disasters of one kind or another -- I know how you feel -- once you get through this you'll have learned a lot -- like having enough product on hand to do double work if necessary because sometimes it is --

tons of blessings on you -- it's like having a baby that is a bank robber or something -- I know -- it's ok -- just keep going -- churchhill said -- when you find yourself in hell keep moving -- it's a sweet hell -- but it's only cake -- it's ok -- maybe just put some other icing on and give it to her -- all we can do is our best --

let me know how it goes -- best to you -- suck it up -- sh*t happens

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 8

My first thought was the same as GIGGLEBOX2014, remove the fondant and refrost with buttercream.  But, upon further reflection, you can remove the isomalt jewels, carefully remove the fondant, bringing with it as little buttercream as possible, and re-frost the cake.  Take the fondant that you removed and clean away any buttercream and crumbs that may have come with it (a little buttercream won't hurt anything) and re-knead it.  You can add glycerine to help rejuvenate it or a little Crisco and/or a small amount of white corn syrup.  Bet you dimes to donuts, it will be fine to reapply.  What can you loose by trying?  Good luck!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 8

You have already I’m sure done something by now with your cake. Removing the fondant for a few crackers is a lot of work. I use “grunge” to repair my tears, elephant skin, etc. Here’s the tutorial. Works like a charm!!!

http://ericaobrien.com/blog/gunge-its-a-miracle/#.

As for your isomalt jewels, sorry isomalt is notorious for going cloudy once dried. Hopefully you took the advice posted here and removed your jewels from the cake. Once you put the jewels back on the cake, make a mixture of 1 tablespoon corn syrup, 3 tablespoons alcohol and mix well. Apply to your isomalt jewels with a paint brush and they will be lovely and shiny. 

Hope this helps.

TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 18 Jun 2018 , 2:33am
post #8 of 8

jchuck, I love the grunge!  We make MMF for all our fondant work and don't have elephant skin issues usually.  However we get the nail markes and the tears from time to time.  This is cool, so thanks for sharing.

I  am big on if a tear happens or something is wrong, I will rip it off in a minute and just re-do it.  I have found sometimes I spend so much time trying to fix or make something work, I end up wasting way more time than if I just started over.

KMSmith1 - I know you felt awful and got that sick feeling deep in your stomach!  That has happened to all of us all at some point!  In our business every day is a learning day!  1st DO NOT GIVE UP!!! Moving forward always keep enough product on hand if you have to re-do something.  I hate to admit it but I have a 5 tier cake and I remember it soooo, soooo well because I re-did every tier twice and the largest tier was a 14'' it was done 3 times!.  I wanted to just die!  Went to bed everything was beautiful, next morning OMG!!  Lessons 2)  make sure( I do anyway) your cakes are finished a day before.  I do this even now, it gives me time is something happens to address it, fix it if need be!  When you see your clients smiling face all the stress will go away.

So KMSmith1, go make some more cake!!  And put that blue fondant on it and show them who is BOSS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%