Wasc Issues

Baking By HotPink_LipGloss Updated 1 Jul 2018 , 10:08pm by HotPink_LipGloss

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 2:34am
post #1 of 41

I apologize in advance for the length. I am donating a semi-naked frosted cake for a baby shower and decided to use WASC to save time and money. My normal homemade white cake recipe is much more laborious and expensive.

Anyway, I tested out the recipe to see how I liked it and encountered a few issues. First, I’m baking three 12” round layers that are 2” high each. I baked it at 300 degrees for 30 mins and then at 325 degrees for 40 minutes. I didn’t use baking strips or a heating core. It came out almost pound cake dense and slightly dry. Should I have just baked it at 325 the entire time? I bought a Wilton heating core but was trying to see if I could get away without using it which is why I did the 300 degrees for 30 minutes. I used Betty Crocker mix and the wasc recipe that has 4TB oil and 8 egg whites since it has to be white. 

The other issue I had was the top was so sticky that it stuck to the wax paper that I covered the cake board with(I flipped it upside down so the top would be completely flat...although it did bake fairly flat). When I tried to lift it up to see if I could stack the layers on top, it broke. It wouldn’t slide off the cake board like my other cakes do. So I ordered two Wilton cake lifters to help me pick them up. I’m just worried that I will not be able to get the lifters under the cake due to the sticky-ness.  How else am I supposed to stack these layers on top of each other if they stick and I can’t lift them up? Thank you for your help.

40 replies
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 2:57am
post #2 of 41

My phone is not letting me edit my post, but I also wanted to ask if I should put them on the cooking rack with or without parchment paper since they have this sticky issue? Thank you. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 3:49am
post #3 of 41

so Good to see you!!!

you can cut the sticky part off --

my wasc is lighter -- I use self rising flour and I bake at 350 because that is the temp the leavening is designed to work best at -- then at the end of the bake I lower the temp by 25 degrees until the middle finishes off -- maybe lower it again and finish the bake at 300 -- I've never liked baking at less than 350 -- I also will put a foil tent over the middle too at the end to increase the heat there and leave it on after it comes out -- helps finish off the middle

I usually toss in a couple egg yolks for some extra moisture -- doesn't change the color --

I usually put a layer of plastic wrap on my tiers when i'm flipping them around so I can be sure I can maneuver them where I want them and they will slide for me -- put a layer on over the cake pan -- then start flipping them -- I use parchment on the bottom so i'm covered there -- but if I remove it I often put a layer of plastic wrap on my rack where i will be setting the cake -- I like to keep them right side up -- 

then you can handle them after you fridge or freeze them -- wasc freezes nicely -- and plastic wrap peels off nicely too --

there's no wrong way -- so nice to see you!!

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 3:53am
post #4 of 41

I have encountered the stickiness with WASC, I have since cut down the amount of sugar in the recipe and it hasn't happened since. With the sticky top, I level my cakes and slice off the top anyway so that wasn't an issue. I have not encountered the cake being dry and dense, so I am no help there, but hopefully someone can help with that!

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 41

Aww thank you K8 :-). I was hoping and am glad to see that you're still on here:-).

I appreciate all this wonderful advice and will definitely give some of it a try! How long do you think I should bake the 12"? I'm going to try it again one more time before the shower next weekend. Also does the bottom get sticky like the top? Normally my cakes have a nice caramelized crust that reduces any sticking. This one was barely brown on the sides and not at all on the bottom. Perhaps my heat was too low.

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 41

Quote by @ypierce82 on 14 hours ago

I have encountered the stickiness with WASC, I have since cut down the amount of sugar in the recipe and it hasn't happened since. With the sticky top, I level my cakes and slice off the top anyway so that wasn't an issue. I have not encountered the cake being dry and dense, so I am no help there, but hopefully someone can help with that!

Thank you for this tip! How much sugar do you reduce it to? Does it change the texture or baking time? Ift was ever so slightly dry but I think I may have overcooked it a little bc I made cupcakes with the extra batter. Those were more moist and much less dense. I think I may add 1/4th cup more oil just in case on my next test batch...or an egg yolk and 2 TB oil. I'm used to and known for my cakes/cupcakes being extremely moist. It usually takes a week for them to start drying out. I think I'll also fill the pan half way instead of 3/4th as instructed. I think it was too much better. It didn't overflow but I believe that also played a role in density and bake time.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 41

Since  you did not use the *original* recipe you had proboems .....so sorry...   If you took time to read the *original* recipe you would find answers to most of your concerns. 

Yes, the *original* WASC recipe is meant to be a dense, almost pound cake texture.  Yes, many have had problems with a slightly sticky top.  I bake my 12"ers for 35 minutes on each temp setting.  I never use a cake core even when baking 16"ers :)      You experienced dry cake because it was probably slightly overbaked and didn't use the whole egg.  I do want to point out one thing you said about turning out the cake 'to level it'.  That is definately the way to break at cake :(  Never turn it out unless it is level with the top of the pan.  

.......Normally my cakes have a nice caramelized crust that reduces any sticking. This one was barely brown on the sides and not at all on the bottom. Perhaps my heat was too low.......

No, your temp was not too low ....*UNLESS*....your oven could be slightly off.  It should end up being a nice, light brown on sides & bottom of cake.

One should not have any problems handling/ lifting up a 12" round cake w/o lifters. 

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 41

Quote by @kakeladi on 7 minutes ago

Since  you did not use the *original* recipe you had proboems .....so sorry...   If you took time to read the *original* recipe you would find answers to most of your concerns. 

Yes, the *original* WASC recipe is meant to be a dense, almost pound cake texture.  Yes, many have had problems with a slightly sticky top.  I bake my 12"ers for 35 minutes on each temp setting.  I never use a cake core even when baking 16"ers :)      You experienced dry cake because it was probably slightly overbaked and didn't use the whole egg.  I do want to point out one thing you said about turning out the cake 'to level it'.  That is definately the way to break at cake :(  Never turn it out unless it is level with the top of the pan.  

.......Normally my cakes have a nice caramelized crust that reduces any sticking. This one was barely brown on the sides and not at all on the bottom. Perhaps my heat was too low.......

No, your temp was not too low ....*UNLESS*....your oven could be slightly off.  It should end up being a nice, light brown on sides & bottom of cake.

One should not have any problems handling/ lifting up a 12" round cake w/o lifters. 

Hi kakeladi, thank you for your input and responses :-). Honestly there are so many WASC recipes and variations that it was overwhelming finding one to start off with. Most of those labeled “original wasc” use the older mixes that have more in the box. I tried to find one that adapted to the newer size mixes bc I wanted to use the mixes as is with no alterations. Some were saying it doesn’t matter just make as is, others said no weigh in more mix and add it...it was confusing.

The recipe I used had excellent reviews and the pictures posted of the inside of the cake were very promising. I had no idea it was supposed to be pound cake like in texture bc that’s definitely not the mouth feel I wanted, but I’m still giving it another try. The cupcakes were not too dense and baked beautifully in terms of moisture. So I think I just goofed up with the cake baking time or something. Otherwise I have no issues baking cakes in my oven. The sides and bottom may have been a little brown I guess. However since I’m required to dye the cake pink (it was hot pink) maybe it wasn’t as noticeable. I’m going to try it again and consider everyone’s suggestions and recipes :-).

Oh no I didn’t mean I lifted the cake to level it. I meant I lifted it to see if I would have any issues stacking the layers on top of each other bc I never work with cakes this large and heavy. Normally I put parchment paper on top of a cake board and slide the layers right on top of each other. On some occasions I’m able to just pick the layers up with my hands and it’s fine.  However this time, the cake wouldn’t slide off the cake board bc of the sticky-ness. As a last resort, I tried to pick it up with my hands/arms and it cracked. Thought it could take it bc it was so firm and dense. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 41

If you take time to look at the *original* recipe that has not be altered you will find that I address the smaller size cake mix boxes somewhere near the end of the replies.  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

I have had the same great results using the smaller sized boxes of mix without making any changes to the recipe.   

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 8:24pm
post #10 of 41

I reduce from 1c to just 1/2.  I don't have sticky tops anymore, but I have not noticed a change in the texture or taste. 

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 8:33pm
post #11 of 41

hotpinklipgloss -- no tellin' how long to bake -- it's all trial and error -- it does take a while though --  unless you write down what you learn and use it next time

I know your cake will be beautiful -- so glad you are still baking green_heart love to see pictures -- best of the best to you!

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 6:32am
post #12 of 41

Thank you again ypierce, kakeladi, and K8 for all of your instructions and tips. I did a second attempt tonight and it went much better. I did the following: used half the amount of sugar & added it towards the end of mixing, baked at 325, used 3 whole eggs instead of egg whites, filled pan halfway instead of 3/4, and doubled the oil.

Definitely more successful than the last. The texture was ALOT fluffier and more moist. The only issue I had was that it was on the crumbly side but I think it’s because I used brown cage free eggs. Even though they were large, they looked a lot smaller than the regular white eggs I have. So next time I’m just using  regular eggs. I did encounter the sticky top again. However, I let it cool on a rack right side up on a cake board with parchment paper. I would have loved to put it in my freezer but it’s not wide enough for a 12” cake *bummer*. But to be on the safe side, I coated the cake lifter with half powdered sugar and half cornstarch. So when I lifted the cake, it slid off with ease. 

I still prefer my homemade white cake better bc it is fluffier, more tender, and more moist, but I’m officially a wasc believer for some situations :-).

I appreciate that K8 <3. I’ll try to post a picture of the final cake next weekend :-). 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 11:28am
post #13 of 41

it might have been crumbly because you doubled the oil -- add a teaspoon of baking powder if you want it as fluffy as your other cake 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 11:29am
post #14 of 41

but a quarter cup of oil is not too much per cake mix -- can't tell over all how much you used

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 8:57pm
post #15 of 41

Quote by @-K8memphis on 9 hours ago

but a quarter cup of oil is not too much per cake mix -- can't tell over all how much you used

It could have been the oil. My mom tasted it this morning and said it seemed like it was a little underdone and I panicked. No one else thought that. My sister told my mom it’s because it’s so moist. It did seem to be more moist today.  The toothpick came out completely clean and cake was pulled away from the sides when I pulled it out. So maybe it is a little too much oil. 

I used the recipe that requires two cake mixes, 8 egg whites, 2 cups of flour, 2 2/3 cup water, 1 cup sour cream,  and 2 TB oil. I did half the recipe this time and used 1 cake mix bc it was just a test. So I used 1/4th cup of oil and 3 whole eggs instead of the whites. My mom said just leave it in a few more minutes. So I’m going to try it again but maybe scale back the oil by a tablespoon. I’m scared to bake it longer bc it seems to dry out easily. 

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 9:00pm
post #16 of 41

My mistake the recipe said 4 TB of oil which is why I doubled it and used 1/4th cup for half the recipe. 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 9:04pm
post #17 of 41

four tablespoons is a quarter cup blush

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 9:22pm
post #18 of 41

Quote by @-K8memphis on 9 minutes ago

four tablespoons is a quarter cup blush

Yes thank you  :-). Now I am unsure of what to do bc idk if it’s worth changing it if only one person thinks it is underdone. We all thought it was pretty perfect until she said something. Then my dad all of sudden was like yeah maybe bake it a little longer. I said you told me it was perfect lol. Ughhhh!! My mom is the type who hates fudgey brownies and likes her baked goods “well done/crispy” so she may be biased haha. 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 9:30pm
post #19 of 41

i'm like your mom -- but not with cake -- if they got any of the gooey top -- that could influence them too

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 9:34pm
post #20 of 41

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 minute ago

i'm like your mom -- but not with cake -- if they got any of the gooey top -- that could influence them too

Very true!  I didn’t slice the top off since I didn’t frost it or anything. That part is definitely super gooey/gummy now. 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 9:36pm
post #21 of 41

so you got no worries there +1

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 9:41pm
post #22 of 41

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 minute ago

so you got no worries there +1

Y’all are definitely some baking angels!! I always  appreciate the advice and voices of reason when I ask for help here :-). Now if only you could be with me while I’m making the final thing as a lifeline lol. FYI I do mostly cupcakes and small cakes so this is really a task for me. 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 10:43pm
post #23 of 41

it's gonna be awesome -- you're gonna do great

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 19 Jun 2018 , 3:57am
post #24 of 41

Quote by @-K8memphis on 2 days ago

it's gonna be awesome -- you're gonna do great

Thank you, I hope so!

Just an update. I made a 3rd “just to be sure cake”. It’s the best one yet! This time I made the full recipe and used two boxes of cake mix and 6 TB of oil instead of the 8 I was planning in fear of crumbling again. It did crumble initially; however, I realized it was the knife! I then cut it with a big very sharp non serrated knife and I had nothing but clean cuts and minimal crumbs. I also didn’t get a sticky top. It’s almost as fluffy & tender as a regular box mix cake too...not sure why this one came out so much better but I’m relieved! Also content with the moisture level bc I don’t want to mess it up again.  I got a thumbs up from everyone who tried it including my mom lol. Phew!

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jun 2018 , 11:24am
post #25 of 41

sweet!

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 24 Jun 2018 , 12:49am
post #26 of 41

Wasc Issues

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 24 Jun 2018 , 5:09am
post #27 of 41

Also in case others look at this, it sat out for almost 6 hours uncovered and did not dry out at all. Since this was my first naked cake, I was very concerned about that. However, it was just as moist as when I baked it despite no simple syrup. Never froze or refrigerated it either. It was assembled 17 hours before the event started and sat in a box. 

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2018 , 2:34pm
post #28 of 41

wonderful! great job -- you did your homework and it paid off clap hot pink success!

wow the flowers there are amazing -- what is that in the right foreground -- a giant oatmeal cookie? or a pie -- maybe?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Jun 2018 , 6:50pm
post #29 of 41

The whole table looks fantastic!  Your cake is a beauty!  Nailed it, lady!!

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 25 Jun 2018 , 5:19am
post #30 of 41

Quote by @-K8memphis on 3 hours ago

wonderful! great job -- you did your homework and it paid off clap hot pink success!

wow the flowers there are amazing -- what is that in the right foreground -- a giant oatmeal cookie? or a pie -- maybe?

Thank you so much!  It was a success bc of all the great advice that I received on here!  I also contributed two dozen cupcakes from the leftover wasc batter. You can’t see them bc the picture is zoomed in. Everyone raved and there was no cake or cupcakes left when it was over. I was told by several that it was the best cake they ever had and it was the star of the shower(their words)...unbelievable! I will definitely be using wasc more often!

Yes the flowers blew me away! This baby shower was thrown for a friend of mine by a few of her best gal pals. One of them bought the flowers on clearance from Michael’s for almost nothing...and the father to be made the wooden backdrop(without his wife knowing). It was impressive what they did with such little money, but Pinterest made it possible lol. You could definitely see the love that was put in it all. 

And that’s an apple crumble pie which surprisingly no one ate :/. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%