Wasc Issues

Baking By HotPink_LipGloss Updated 1 Jul 2018 , 10:08pm by HotPink_LipGloss

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 25 Jun 2018 , 7:16am
post #31 of 41

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 10 hours ago

The whole table looks fantastic!  Your cake is a beauty!  Nailed it, lady!!

Aww, thank you :-).

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2018 , 3:28pm
post #32 of 41

i forgot it was a baby shower -- looks like a wedding tablescape! wow 

so glad you got such great reviews -- i'm tingling for you -- hope that's not creepy -- those were fantastic reviews --

omg -- apple crumble pie -- i woulda ate some!  right now in my fridge -- i have four gluten free protein packed individual sized crusts in the pie pans ready for apples -- then sitting in the freezer i got the nutty/oaty topping which is sweetened with maple syrup already ready to be placed on the apples -- all i have to do is cut & dress the apples. slap on the topping -- pop in the oven -- bam! 

i have a serious love affair with apple pie

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jun 2018 , 9:55pm
post #33 of 41

So glad all went well- that you and all were happy with the results - great job :)

I know most people are calling this type of design a 'naked' cake but really it is covered with a crumb coat so it is not truely/fully 'naked'.   Once it is coated with even the lightest crumb coat a cake is 'sealed' so no air gets to the cake that would dry it out.  We need to refere to these as 'semi-naked' as that is what they really are   

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2018 , 10:13pm
post #34 of 41

scantily clad?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jun 2018 , 10:19pm
post #35 of 41

That good K8! :)

I once posted what I called a 'naked cake' - I think it's in my gallery.  It was totally covered with a good layer chocolate icing but NO decorations.  Back then this 'naked' trend still hadn't caught on like it is now :)

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2018 , 10:47pm
post #36 of 41

i hear yah! 

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 7:17pm
post #37 of 41

Quote by @-K8memphis on 3 days ago

i forgot it was a baby shower -- looks like a wedding tablescape! wow 

so glad you got such great reviews -- i'm tingling for you -- hope that's not creepy -- those were fantastic reviews --

omg -- apple crumble pie -- i woulda ate some!  right now in my fridge -- i have four gluten free protein packed individual sized crusts in the pie pans ready for apples -- then sitting in the freezer i got the nutty/oaty topping which is sweetened with maple syrup already ready to be placed on the apples -- all i have to do is cut & dress the apples. slap on the topping -- pop in the oven -- bam! 

i have a serious love affair with apple pie

I know I thought so too, but that’s what the mom to be requested. She said absolutely nothing baby or cute, but rather “grown woman” rustic elegance...interesting lol. We were worried about that, but it came out beautiful and she loved everything. 

I absolutely love apple pie also and would have totally dug in but at that point, my palette was so done with sugar lol. I had been tasting wasc samples for weeks...sugar overload! How did you make a protein packed gluten free crust?!

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 7:24pm
post #38 of 41

Quote by @kakeladi on 2 days ago

So glad all went well- that you and all were happy with the results - great job :)

I know most people are calling this type of design a 'naked' cake but really it is covered with a crumb coat so it is not truely/fully 'naked'.   Once it is coated with even the lightest crumb coat a cake is 'sealed' so no air gets to the cake that would dry it out.  We need to refere to these as 'semi-naked' as that is what they really are   

Thank you so much!

Yep that’s why when they requested the naked cake I wanted to see pictures bc I wasn’t sure if they wanted a crumb coat or not. I really didn’t want to do it bc honestly I’m not a fan of the look but it’s growing on me now. When I was finished, my mom asked me if I was done bc it needed more frosting. I tried to explain that’s what they wanted and she didn’t get it lol. So I was a little worried that people would think I don’t know how to frost a cake or ran out of frosting. Didn’t get such comments though. 

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 29 Jun 2018 , 1:40am
post #39 of 41

Haha and no K8 that’s not creepy at all! I love to see bakers succeed especially if they were having problems before. It’s a very happy tingly feeling lol. 

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jun 2018 , 9:45pm
post #40 of 41

Quote by @HotPink_LipGloss on 1 day ago

How did you make a protein packed gluten free crust?!

regular all purpose enriched flour has 3 grams of protein per quarter cup -- I have my own blend of gluten free that has some almond and sorghum flours in it which is 4 and 6 grams per quarter cup respectively -- plus I got a bag of gluten free flour out of the sale bin and it has garbanzo flour & stuff in there and it has 7 grams per quarter cup -- so that's how it gets protein packed -- even though the starches have no protein -- the protein rate is still much higher --

I buy the bob's red mill bags of flours & starches -- so I incorporate them in this ratio -- one part protein -- two parts starch and two parts grain -- my oats have 3.5 grams of protein per quarter cup --

this is my pie crust recipe -- i started with ree drummond's recipe called Sylvia's perfect pie crust -- I changed it a lot though --

• 3 cups flour-- I used one cup of my gluten free -- one cup of the packaged gf and one cup thick cup rolled oats
  • two sticks of butter (even sturdier if you use some shortening)
  • 1 T white vinegar
  • 5T cold water
  • 1 egg 
  • salt
  • (for pot pie add 2 teaspoons baking powder)

mix like for any pie crust -- this makes 2 crusts and is good in a pie tin or if you want to make a fold up crust without a pie pan -- where you roll out the dough -- put the fruit in the middle and just fold up the edges of the crust over the fruit for a rustic look -- 

this type of baking is more balanced -- you can literally only eat so much of it --

plus this is the crumble topping:

• 1/2 cup almond flour -- but I used 1/4 cup pecans and 1/4 cup thick cut oats whirled a little in the food procesor
  • 1.5 tablespoons of coconut sugar 
  • 1.5 tablespoons coconut flour (but I used a little tapioca starch)
  • one tablespoon of cinnamon
  • a little salt

combine those ^^^ ingredients

then combine the following two ingredients and add to the first topping mixture

• 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 1 Jul 2018 , 10:08pm
post #41 of 41

Quote by @-K8memphis on 2 days ago

Quote by @HotPink_LipGloss on 1 day ago

How did you make a protein packed gluten free crust?!

regular all purpose enriched flour has 3 grams of protein per quarter cup -- I have my own blend of gluten free that has some almond and sorghum flours in it which is 4 and 6 grams per quarter cup respectively -- plus I got a bag of gluten free flour out of the sale bin and it has garbanzo flour & stuff in there and it has 7 grams per quarter cup -- so that's how it gets protein packed -- even though the starches have no protein -- the protein rate is still much higher --

I buy the bob's red mill bags of flours & starches -- so I incorporate them in this ratio -- one part protein -- two parts starch and two parts grain -- my oats have 3.5 grams of protein per quarter cup --

this is my pie crust recipe -- i started with ree drummond's recipe called Sylvia's perfect pie crust -- I changed it a lot though --

• 3 cups flour-- I used one cup of my gluten free -- one cup of the packaged gf and one cup thick cup rolled oats
  • two sticks of butter (even sturdier if you use some shortening)
  • 1 T white vinegar
  • 5T cold water
  • 1 egg 
  • salt
  • (for pot pie add 2 teaspoons baking powder)

mix like for any pie crust -- this makes 2 crusts and is good in a pie tin or if you want to make a fold up crust without a pie pan -- where you roll out the dough -- put the fruit in the middle and just fold up the edges of the crust over the fruit for a rustic look -- 

this type of baking is more balanced -- you can literally only eat so much of it --

plus this is the crumble topping:

• 1/2 cup almond flour -- but I used 1/4 cup pecans and 1/4 cup thick cut oats whirled a little in the food procesor
  • 1.5 tablespoons of coconut sugar 
  • 1.5 tablespoons coconut flour (but I used a little tapioca starch)
  • one tablespoon of cinnamon
  • a little salt

combine those ^^^ ingredients

then combine the following two ingredients and add to the first topping mixture

• 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup

Wow thank you so much for the detailed instructions and recipe!!! I for sure will try this once I get back on my gluten free diet :-).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%