Wedding Cake Storage

Decorating By SoniD Updated 30 May 2018 , 3:03am by SoniD

SoniD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniD Posted 29 May 2018 , 3:22am
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering how everyone stores their buttercream wedding cakes.  I am making my daughter's wedding cake and am wondering if I should refrigerate it or leave out the day before.  I am planning on using fillings that do not require refrigeration.  

Thanks in advance for the help.

7 replies
KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 29 May 2018 , 4:39am
post #2 of 8

You should be fine either way.  I personally like keeping my cakes in the fridge and setting them out a couple hours before they’re needed.

That being said, I’ve never done anything as big as a wedding cake, either.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 May 2018 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 8

I keep all of my cakes refrigerated until I am ready to deliver them.  If they are large, tiered cakes, I store and transport them unstacked, then assemble at the venue.  I even keep my husband and my personal cakes refrigerated, out of habit, I think.

SandraSmiley Posted 29 May 2018 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 8

It will be a lot easier to handle your buttercream cake if it is chilled and it only takes a short time for it to come to room temp.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 May 2018 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 8

Sandra ::  You keep your husband refrigerated??   HAHAHAHA

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 May 2018 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 8

When I did the majority of my work it was before this site and others was popular (back in the '80s & '90s) & I didn't know about chilling cakes for delivery.   They did fine - and some were delivered as much as 50 miles away.   Yes, there were a very few 'accidents' that  probably would have not happened if the cake was well chilled.   It also depends I think on what your wheather is like.   Is it HOT in the summer (today here it is 100 degrees F) or is a more normal temp average around 70 where you are?   Don't worry about a b'cream cake sweating when taken out of the frig.  Just do NOT touch it or try to wipe the sweat away - just let it evaporate on it's own - it'll be just fine :) 

SandraSmiley Posted 30 May 2018 , 12:22am
post #7 of 8

Baaahahaha!  Caught my poor grammar, did you kakeladi!  Sorry.  There have been times that I thought he needed to be refrigerated, but alas, he is too big, lol!

SoniD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniD Posted 30 May 2018 , 3:03am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%