The Royal Wedding Cake -- Well One Of Them :)

Decorating By -K8memphis Updated 9 Jun 2018 , 1:12pm by jchuck

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
103 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 May 2018 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 104

I can't wait to see it put together!  I heard on the news this morning that the lady doing the cake is an American living in the UK.  Woohoo, doing us proud!

-K8memphis Posted 18 May 2018 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 104

I know -- i'm so excited -- I love weddings and what a wedding -- I wanna do an elderberry lemon cake like this --- not the décor -- the flavors

SandraSmiley Posted 18 May 2018 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 104

I absolutely love elderberry and I bet it is divine with lemon.  Never thought to use it in a cake.

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2018 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 104

The Royal Wedding Cake -- Well One Of Them :)

SandraSmiley Posted 19 May 2018 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 104

I saw it this morning and my first though was, where is the rest of it?  I think the cake and the display are beautiful, but I was so disappointed because even I could make this.  Am I missing something?

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 19 May 2018 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 104

I agree with Sandrasmiley it was a let down for me.  Not regal enough. 

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 19 May 2018 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 104

I agree with sandrasmiley and Lfredden a little disappointed about the design, but it's cool an American baker was graced with the honor of making the royal wedding cake.  I have never had elderberry,  K8memphis are you going to down scale the given recipe or try something different?

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2018 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 104

no -- i'll just try an elderberry splash someday with a lemon curd cake --

I think it is gorgeous -- absolutely splendid -- there's more than one cake -- maybe y'all will like one of the others -- I think it is modern and very meghan

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2018 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 104

not to mention i'm fresh out of the golden table, pots and dit dots that are set about smile

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2018 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 104

this cake looks edible -- it's not an imposing structure -- it's free and lovely and meghan all the way

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 19 May 2018 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 104

Can't believe Miss Sandra you didn't know the cake decorator wasan American living in London!!! Of course, being Canadian, part of the Commonwealth, we get all things British here. But most cakey FB pages...including Kepp Calm...posted this info. Meghan wanted the wedding cake  simple, rustic and pretty. The trick wasn't the outside decoration, but the flavour. To get the elderberry flavour correct in proportion isn't easy. Too much, and it tadtes like wilted roses. Too much lemon and you obscure the elderberry flavour. After all said, I often wonder if the B & G will actually have a slice of there wedding cake?? All I can say is it beats fruit cake. I mean I love fruit cake, but, sorry, just not my fav as a wedding cake. My Scottish Mom insisted on fruit cake at my wedding. Oh my if you could have seen the look at my husband's Polish side..the guests faces!!! They absolutely didn't have a clue what the friut cake was!!! Don't get me started about being piped (Scottish bagpipper) into the church..ha ha..

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2018 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 104

the wedding cake reflects the bride -- it's perfect

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2018 , 4:24pm
post #14 of 104

i'm disappointed y'all are disappointed

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2018 , 4:27pm
post #15 of 104

but i'm also disappointed that the lady who was coming to see the fridge is late a half hour -- i'm gonna give this sh*t away -- sorry --

back to the royal wedding -- if you see any other cakes -- try to grab a picture

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2018 , 4:32pm
post #16 of 104

this is not harry & meghan's but have you seen this one?

Lfredden Posted 19 May 2018 , 4:35pm
post #17 of 104

I understand what your saying @K8memphis and I agree.   I guess she wanted something understated yet sophisticated.   The design is understated (no intricate piping, gum paste flowers etc). but the flavor rich and sophisticated.   I just look forward to these occasions as a time to look at someone’s work and be in total awe and think “wow I could never do that” and I just didn’t have that moment.  I did with Kate Middleton’s cake.   But it’s not my moment that is important but what the bride wants.   But I did Love her gown and choice of Tiara   

Lfredden Posted 19 May 2018 , 4:36pm
post #18 of 104

I understand what your saying @K8memphis and I agree.   I guess she wanted something understated yet sophisticated.   The design is understated (no intricate piping, gum paste flowers etc). but the flavor rich and sophisticated.   I just look forward to these occasions as a time to look at someone’s work and be in total awe and think “wow I could never do that” and I just didn’t have that moment.  I did with Kate Middleton’s cake.   But it’s not my moment that is important but what the bride wants.   But I did Love her gown and choice of Tiara   

SandraSmiley Posted 19 May 2018 , 7:36pm
post #19 of 104

I think the thing that most shocked me is that it is so little of it.  The royal cakes are usually 50 tiers high!  I do think it is beautiful and I know it is delicious.  Oh, June, I did know the baker was American, living in London, as I stated earlier.  Makes me proud!

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 19 May 2018 , 9:29pm
post #20 of 104

Okay, it's really lovely and I'm a big fan of the buttercream/fresh flower trend and would be more than happy to reproduce the royal wedding cake as it's so pretty and the flavours sound delicious, but.... a team of six bakers working full-time for five days? That is going to be one well padded invoice....

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2018 , 9:58pm
post #21 of 104

the royals seem big on giving everyone a slice of cake to go -- idk if they did this time -- 

"A kilogram of flour is equal to 8 cups of flour, when converting metric measurements to U.S. Standard measurements"

so here's the ingredients:

�� 200 Amalfi lemons
�� 500 organic eggs from Suffolk
�� 20kgs of butter
�� 20kgs of flour
�� 20kgs of sugar
�� 10 bottles of Sandringham Elderflower Cordial

The baking of the #RoyalWedding cake is under way!

so 160 cups of flour? so how many serving is that give or take a few? it looks kind of like a pound cake -- but some of the butter and sugar could have gone in the icing? idk

as far as too many bakers -- the pictures i've seen are the friend baker girl and an assistant -- i mean i've been reading upp on this and at first it was going to be a banana cake too -- 

oh and all you naysayers -- kerry vincent doesn't like it much either -- so you're in good company blush

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 May 2018 , 11:52pm
post #22 of 104

My first thought the moment I saw the cake, was pretty but it looks like a desert cake for a post-tennis match dinner, with what look like trophies on the table.

SandraSmiley Posted 20 May 2018 , 12:05am
post #23 of 104

Well, -K8memphis, where is the rest of the cake?  The cakes pictured sure did not require that quantity of ingredients.  Like I said, the size of the cake was what threw me, not the rustic buttercream or the simplicity.  As far as fresh flowers, I hate fresh flowers on a cake.  My MIL ordered a cake for Mike and me when we got married (because she didn't think I could make make my own cake) and It had a silky SMBC frosting and was scrumptious, BUT it had fresh roses, which wasn't too bed and ferns on it.  The stupid ferns were stuck all in the icing and with every bite, you got to enjoy a bite of fern.  The flowers were stuck directly into the cake too.  Yuck, yuck and more yuck.  All that being said, I am sure the royal wedding cake did not have those problems, lol.

-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2018 , 12:40am
post #24 of 104

i don't know -- but those tiers might be much bigger than we think they are -- i don't know -- 200 lemons makes a boat load of curd

me_me1 Posted 20 May 2018 , 12:54am
post #25 of 104

Judging by the size of the flower heads, I don't think the cakes are all that massive. I saw her flipping one out onto a cake board in one video and it looked like a 14", maybe 16" at most?

She was also talking about having to ask past workers to come back to help her... maybe she had part of that team of six full-time bakers keeping her cafe running while she and a helper or two made the actual cake. That's about the only way I can come up with to justify saying you had a team of six working with you on it! I'm pretty modest about my own skill level but I think even working on my own I'd be stretching it to spend five full days on those cakes.

As for the amount of ingredients...  maybe she ordered double just in case she stuffed something up and had to re-bake. I'm 100% sure I would order twice as much to have 'just in case' ingredients on hand if I was baking the royal cake!   :)

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 20 May 2018 , 12:55am
post #26 of 104

I'd bet there's all kinds of sheet cake in the kitchen already sliced and ready to be served.

me_me1 Posted 20 May 2018 , 1:01am
post #27 of 104

I hope so!!!   :)

jchuck Posted 20 May 2018 , 1:37am
post #28 of 104

Ha Ha doz..they DON'T serve "sheet cakes" at royal receptions. I read a post on FB, and now for the life if me, I can't find it!! Apparently, Prince Charles had fruit cake made and every guest to take a slice home. And fruit cake was also mailed  out to other guests who attended the wedding.  Was a large amount, I think something like 4000?? There will be other desserts at the wedding besides THE cake.

jchuck Posted 20 May 2018 , 3:34am
post #29 of 104

Well doz I stand corrected. Baker Claire Ptak made 2000 extra servings fir the reception. So not sure if they call them sheet cakes in the UK. And 4000 fruit cakes made for guests to take home, and some mailed out.  Apparently the actual wedding cake is not consumed by the guests, but cut up and packaged for staff of the royal household to take home. This was posted on one of my FB cakey pages.

Royal protocol - cake is never served to the guests - it is cut up and GIFTED to the staff etc in small metal memento tins.   Nothing about a Royal Wedding is the same as any other.  

me_me1 Posted 20 May 2018 , 8:22am
post #30 of 104

Well that makes WAY more sense now team- and time-wise!!! Thanks for the update!!!   :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%