The Royal Wedding Cake -- Well One Of Them :)

Decorating By -K8memphis Updated 9 Jun 2018 , 1:12pm by jchuck

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2018 , 2:29pm
post #31 of 104

yeah cool -- great sleuthing y'all -- and by sheet cake -- i would mean square or rectangular cakes that are four layers like the moma cake -- yeah they go nuts for the cake servings -- it becomes their part favors -- 

y'know there was one serving of cake from forever ago that sold at auction recently for mega moolah -- can't remember which royal wedding maybe elizabeth's or one before her --

-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2018 , 3:21pm
post #32 of 104

*party favors

-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2018 , 3:47pm
post #33 of 104

from 2015

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/06/03/five-royal-family-wedding-cake-slices-up-for-auction.html

"It's the first time that all five cakes from the past five royal weddings have been up for auction at one time, and the first time that some of the royal cakes which represent the weddings have ever been sold. It's a royal flush," he said.

-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2018 , 4:11pm
post #34 of 104

i checked out her webpage -- http://www.violetcakes.com/

i can see what would attract a foodie to her bakery -- their friendship notwithstanding -- i respect her as a baker of lovely things -- and that she has her own style -- pretty cool

-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2018 , 4:41pm
post #35 of 104

no no no no no no no no -- this cake is even better than the lambethed-to-death whoppers they can come up with -- and nothing wrong with whopping precise over-ornate cakes -- but think of it -- and i said this earlier but think of what meghan could control in this occasion -- not much -- i mean she got the important thing -- the guy she loves -- but the cake was all hers and the cake reflects the bride -- a little rustic yes -- simply gorgeous with the flowers -- oh yes -- she got a friend to do it who has the same foodie philosophy as hers -- so down to earth in all that lavish pomp -- 

that's why i think the cake is ever the, ever the, ever the more awesome and perfect in all it's rusticity and fresh flowerness -- this is one place meghan won big time -- the cake is about the bride and she stuck the landing with a big fat TEN!

i love it more and more

-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2018 , 4:42pm
post #36 of 104

she totally cut through the red royal tape -- brava!

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 20 May 2018 , 4:46pm
post #37 of 104

Well,it was a lovely cake and hopefully no will try to save the elderflower cake for years- that would not be a pretty sight! or taste    lol

-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2018 , 5:01pm
post #38 of 104

smile

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 20 May 2018 , 6:08pm
post #39 of 104

Agreed K8memphis on all your posts. Can't say as I care about a piece of royal wedding fruitcake from years gone by. Not my thing. To each his own!! And doz, you're right, Meghan's cake can't be saved and sold later..unless you like moldy wedding cake!!

And so true about Meghan basically having the wedding "controled". Everything had to be approved by the Queen. I bet the Queen had 2nd thoughts about approving that American preacher!!!!  Ha Ha. So Meghan chose what she could control, her wedding dress, shoes, makeup, her hair style and yes her/there cake!! Doesn't every bride want to do that?? I did. I'm glad they had a beautiful sunny day, rare this time of year in England. And that the ceremony was so lovely. A day Meghan and Harry will look back on fondly  for years to come. 

-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2018 , 7:15pm
post #40 of 104

i'm glad we, as a world, had a nice day all the way around -- something wonderful to smile and feel good about

jchuck Posted 20 May 2018 , 7:17pm
post #41 of 104

Yes K8memphis...was a lovely respite from all the awfulness in our world....

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 May 2018 , 7:21pm
post #42 of 104

I agree with both of you, -K8memphis and June, how delightful to have the world united in such a special occasion.  I know they belong to the UK, but I claim them as our, too!

jchuck Posted 20 May 2018 , 7:31pm
post #43 of 104

Well, again, being Canadian, royals tend to come here more regularly. And  now Duchess Meghan will want to come to Canada to see her friends the Mulroney’s. Whose boys were those cuties holding on to Meghan’s wedding dress train. And by the way, the husband, Ben, is the son of a former Prime Minister of Canada. So we can kinda lay claim too!!

-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2018 , 7:48pm
post #44 of 104

so cool

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 May 2018 , 9:19pm
post #45 of 104

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 1 day ago

I saw it this morning and my first though was, where is the rest of it?  I think the cake and the display are beautiful, but I was so disappointed because even I could make this.  Am I missing something?

Haven't had a chance to read all the replies in this post but this one I agree with for sure! 

SandraSmiley Posted 20 May 2018 , 9:52pm
post #46 of 104

Well, kakeladi, I read that there are 4,000 servings of fruit cake to be distributed to guests, so I guess that is the rest of it!

jchuck Posted 20 May 2018 , 10:15pm
post #47 of 104

I am so disppointed in the cake community because of sooo many nasty remarks about this cake. And even nastier remarks about the baker Mis Ptak. Not directing this to you kakeladi. Cake community is always complaining there isn't enough support. After all the nastiness, I wonder why.  Especially disappointed in  some very well known decorators have who have trashed this cake, and Miss Ptak. It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another to get personal about the baker.  Everyone forgets, this is the cake that Meghan and Harry wanted. So Miss Ptak did as she was hired. Not my cup of tea, but B & G wanted simple, they got simple. I think silver stands would have been more appropriate. A little more fitting. But that's cause I'm not a big fan of gold.

On another note, I just got called a vile name on a FB page because I answered a question about royal protocol regarding the cake. Geez!! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 May 2018 , 10:21pm
post #48 of 104

Oh I certinly was not complaining about the baker or the cake shown!!  I thought it lovely, perfectly displayed, but not stunning and huge as have been most of the ones in the past.   I would hope it was indeed extctly what B&G wanted and were thrilled with it.   I had hoped by now to have seen a better pic of it and any others that were made especially for them.   I think I  remember when Will & Kate married there were at least 1/2 a dozen 'official' cakes    How awful you were subjected to someone's nasty tongue!   Please let it roll off you back.

jchuck Posted 20 May 2018 , 11:49pm
post #49 of 104

Thanks kakeladi. I was momentarily upset, but there are rude people everywhere, especially on FB. Just dismissed her...

SandraSmiley Posted 20 May 2018 , 11:58pm
post #50 of 104

Just give me the word, June and I'll take her out!  Don't mess with my friends!

Even though I was expecting a much larger cake, I thought the cake was lovely, the bride beautiful and the groom handsome, Megan's dress was gorgeous and they looked at each other with so much calm and love.  How could you not love the whole wedding?

jchuck Posted 21 May 2018 , 12:17am
post #51 of 104

Yes, they were so much in love. Wonderful too see...

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 21 May 2018 , 1:07am
post #52 of 104

The nerve of people getting nasty about a wedding cake.  It is not their wedding. Some people are so negative. I would have loved to had a slice of that cake, I will just have to fantasize 

-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2018 , 1:12am
post #53 of 104

ok -- has anyone heard what material the dress was made out of?i mean the first dress --

the second dress -- right away they go silk crepe -- ok cool -- but what was dress #1 made of??? it looked thick -- not in a bad way -- but it was not thin wispy material -- it was full bodied -- anybody?

and i loved them both -- wonder if there were any more? :)

-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2018 , 1:31am
post #54 of 104

yeah jchuck, i'm sorry you got a nasty comment -- small minded people huh --  and i'm kinda ashamed of some people too -- our cattiness comes out -- i mean by all standards, claire ptak is doing a great business -- she scored big time -- apparently meghan likes her style -- right -- so it's just too bad for some people -- they can't handle her style nor her success --

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 21 May 2018 , 1:48am
post #55 of 104

K8memphis,  the wedding gown was made of pure white silk..such a lovely dress.

-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2018 , 1:49am
post #56 of 104

thank you, doz -- and did it not fit to perfection -- so beautiful

-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2018 , 1:50am
post #57 of 104

here's a better picture of the cake and the story of the cake

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a20743215/royal-wedding-harry-and-meghans-wedding-cake/

and who do you think the bust is over on the left?

jchuck Posted 21 May 2018 , 2:21am
post #58 of 104

Good article here about both dresses K8memphis

Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress Was Made for a Person, Not a Princess ...

https://www.nytimes.com › style

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 21 May 2018 , 12:10pm
post #59 of 104

I have mixed thoughts about the cake.  It is lovely and I am sure it is what the bride wanted, but I feel like it could have been more grand but still kept the rustic style.  I feel like she tried too hard to keep things simple.  Maybe that really is how she is, but it is a royal wedding, not a garden party!  There are ways to make things feel and look grand without bedazzling everything.  I don't know, my feelings are hard to describe.  Like with the cake, I was underwhelmed by her dress.  It made her look so much older than she is.  I understand that there are rules to follow in regards to sleeves and style and such for the church, but I thought she kind of looked frumpy in the dress.  That dress would have looked so much better if it had been fitted to her arms and bodice.  And sorry but her hair and makeup (or lack there of) made it looked like she just rolled out of bed.  She is a gorgeous woman but she definitely didn't do herself justice.

-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2018 , 1:26pm
post #60 of 104

I hear you, freckles -- and i'm realizing one reason I like this wedding so much more is because 'natural' is kind of the emphasis from meghan -- on the other hand the royal hoopla is understandably non-stop -- although they are quick to compare to other weddings where even more hoopla reigned supreme --but I love that she looked like a real person -- not all painted on the lips and her eyes not overly blackened out and colored up -- her hair was natural -- some brides look like someone else but she looked like meghan and i admiret that -- the dress was fitted to me -- it was not skin tight as is the style nowadays -- different styles -- I can see why some would be disappointed but not me not this time --

I think that's why I loved it so much more than a lot of other weddings --

just saw a picture of the simple but solid gold bracelets she gave to her bridesmades or to somebody -- she had them made --

I was kinda surprised she didn't have adult bridesmaids -- I heard she has a guy best friend and that didn't work out for him to be maid of honor with the royal theme of things -- not sure of those details -- but were there adult bridesmaids?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%