Texting Rant

Business By KCakeSide Updated 5 May 2018 , 2:10pm by Gerle

KCakeSide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCakeSide Posted 4 May 2018 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 5

I get requests for cakes through texts or Facebook all the time. Texting is a great way to get or send short messages quickly. Technology is great and has improved our lives in countless ways.

That being said I have lots of problems with texted orders. I can't send an order form through text. I'm old and much slower with a phone keyboard than I am with a full size all-fingers-on-deck keyboard. I don't have 30 minutes to single-finger type the long answer to their simple "how much for this cake" question. Hell, that's the reason I learned touch typing - so I didn't have to type with one finger anymore.

The bigger problem is that my dear husband, who runs the business with me is not on FB (a personal choice which I respect) and he does not have access to the texts that come through the "cake phone." If I get a request and make a commitment for a date he has no idea how full our schedule is. He won't know the scope or date of the project.
I give my customers the whole "If you don't mind, could we please continue this conversation through email? It helps keep my whole team informed!" Or something similar.

It is frustration to me how often people just ignore this. Even after having email conversations they still send vital details through text or FB. It just seems lazy and inconsiderate. Ugh!!

Okay. /endrant

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2018 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 5

Are people ont following through w/replying to you via e-mail?   I certainly understand your problem w/texting.  I don't either and for the same reason - it's soooooooo impossibly slow for me to find the right letter - they are not laid out the same as a keyboard!!    I also understand you DH's not wanting to be on facebook.  Even though I do have a FB account I seldom go on there.

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 4 May 2018 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 5

How about a website where you can post  a link to your email.  Blogger in the google suite is super easy to do. 

KCakeSide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCakeSide Posted 4 May 2018 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 5

kakeladi: People do follow through with emails, most of the time, but some people just don't stick to it.

whatthedogate: I don't think visibility is the issue. I have a website with my email addy all over it and my FB page too. And I always include my addy when I ask them to move the conversation to emails. I'll think I have them good and trained then get a text.

Shoot. I had two people do it to me today. Probably why I'm in a snit. I just wondered if other folks on here were having the same thing happen.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 5 May 2018 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 5

My husband and I don't text on our phones either, but you'd be amazed at how many doctors offices want to confirm or cancel appts via text.  Then they get upset when we don't get the message.  We've told them time and time again....if you can't make a phone call, email the request or it will get ignored.  We are both of the older generation, haven't picked up the ability to text and don't want to at this late state, but they will still text instead of email.  I think we've finally gotten through to some of them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%