First Time Decorating

Decorating By BlueEyedBonnie321 Updated 13 Apr 2018 , 9:11pm by littlejewel

BlueEyedBonnie321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueEyedBonnie321 Posted 12 Apr 2018 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 8

I’m trying to get into the baking/decorating field for my career. This is the first time I’m decorating. I just found one pattern on the Wilton website and tried to copy it on the back of a cookie sheet with parchment paper. My goodness, I didn’t think my hand would get tired so easily. 

Do you guys have any tips for beginner decorators? 

I’ve also noticed that when some of the frosting gets on the outside of the piping bag, it makes it slippery.

*not using my own frosting/buttercream. Using a store brand (not from a can) to practice with until I can make my own*First Time DecoratingFirst Time DecoratingFirst Time DecoratingFirst Time Decorating

7 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 12 Apr 2018 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 8

Welcome to the world of decorating and don't give up!  If your hand is getting tired, your frosting may be too stiff.  If it is the Wilton decorator frosting in the can, that stuff is very stiff.   Mix in a little milk, cream, water, or whatever you have to thin it to a consistency that holds its shape  but is easy to pipe, especially while practicing.  You don't need super stiff frosting until you are practicing roses.  I am not sure how frosting is getting on the outside of the bag.  Assuming there are no leaks, is it coming out the back end?   I usually twist the bag shut and fold the end over on itself and seal tightly with a rubber band.   HTH

BlueEyedBonnie321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueEyedBonnie321 Posted 12 Apr 2018 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for replying.

It’s the frosting in bulk that you get from target in the bakery isle.

bag isn’t leaking at all. It’s when I put the frosting in the bag with a spatula, some of the frosting gets in my hand and I get it on the bag, making it slippery.

yortma Posted 12 Apr 2018 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 8

[postimage id="8812" thumb="900"]

Here is an idea that might help.  Put you bag in a glass like this and it is then easy to fill the bag cleanly. (The rubber band is entirely optional).   Wash your hands if needed before removing the bag and sealing the end.   HTH

yortma Posted 12 Apr 2018 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 8

First Time Decorating

Didn't work with my ipad so I'll try again with my PC

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 13 Apr 2018 , 12:51am
post #6 of 8

Those look very close. Nice work.  My best tip is to watch a lot of you tube video tutorials. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2018 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 8

Welcome, welcome!  Nice to see someone else who want's to learn b'cream decorating!!  It's becomming a lost art as so many are using fondant.     Learning is quite a process :)  There are many, many tips and helpful hints on this site.  It might help you to spend a day or two reading the many past posts.  The pix indicate to me you are well on the way to being a good decorator :)   As for the icing getting on the bag - #1 don't fill the bag more than 1/2 (at the *very most* 2/3rds) full. Use a small spatula and pinch it inside the bag when pulling it out so the icing stays inside and won't mess up the outside of the bag.  Best to take the time to wipe your hands/the bag before beginning to squeeze it.  As someone else mentioned it sounds like the icing you are using is too thick and adding just a bit more liquid (of any kind) should help.  Make small additions - try each time to do some work w/that much, & keep track of how much you add so each time you want to thin it you will know exactly how much to add.  Getting the right consistency for your hand strength is important.....and the amount of thinning liquid added is going to very depending on your strength.  I have very hard squeezing power - it doesn't take much to thin icing for me.  Some people have hot hands and the icing 'melts in the bag so they would want to start w/a thicker consistency &/or keep a 2nd bag of icing in the frig, switching bags as the icing warms up.   Keep trying.  It will eventually come to you.  I remember trying to learn some tenique in a class - the wonderful teacher kept encouraging me to keep trying but it seemed useless - I just couldn't get it.  It wan't until I got home, trying the next day that it came as easy as if I'd been doing it forever :)  Watch any & all the videos on Youtube you can and keep it up.  You will do fine for sure!!

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 13 Apr 2018 , 9:11pm
post #8 of 8

Good luck with making it a career.  If this is something you want to do it is worth trying it's a skill you will have. There are some tutorial on this site. There some Wilton classes on maybe check out some books and videos from you Library if they don't have ones you are looking for do in inter-library loan Wilton books are good ones to request. Check out youtube

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%