Wasc Dreamsicle Cake (Poke Cake)

Baking By Baker-ina Updated 2 Apr 2018 , 2:02pm by Baker-ina

Baker-ina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker-ina Posted 28 Mar 2018 , 2:11am
post #1 of 5

Hi! A customer ordered an orange dreamsicle cake (wasc recipe baked with mandarin orange slices and turned into a poke cake with thick orange jello). It will be filled with firm passion fruit mouse, raspberry jam and firm lemon curd and frosted in vanilla SMBC. I’m nervous about stability, as it’s going to stand about 8” high and though the cake is pretty firm I’m not sure how it will hold up to weight. Would you guys recommend putting a cake board about halfway up and dowels?

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2018 , 2:46am
post #2 of 5

From your description I think you are wanting to create 2 tiers - each consisting of two 2" layers torted w/filling between, then stacked together w/more filling between those 'tiers' - creating one 8" tall cake.  I really suggest you make 2 seperate cakes - each consisting of two 2" layers with filling and each on a cake board - having plastic drink straws in the bottom one for support.   I myself have never made a cake that tall so can't say for sure that it would be fine w/o supports so it's best to err on the safe side :)

Baker-ina Posted 28 Mar 2018 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the advice! I think you’re right, and it will work for the design to split it into two tiers and make it more bottom heavy. :) 

Evy911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evy911 Posted 28 Mar 2018 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with kakeladi. I have not had good experiences trying to stack filled cakes. They are too heavy, especially covered in fondant, and, the filling could squish out or the cake likes to slide, even with support and dowels and such. Just keep it it smaller.

Baker-ina Posted 2 Apr 2018 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%