Buttercream Has Too Many Bubbles

Decorating By pinning2010 Updated 27 Mar 2018 , 5:55pm by kakeladi

pinning2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinning2010 Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 6

Ok experts I need help. I have been making cakes for my family for a few years now and every time I make my own batch of buttercream it turns out with too many bubbles in it. I do not have a Kitchen Aid or any similar mixer, mine is a sunbeam that rotates the bowl instead of the attachment, also it does not have a paddle attachment. I wanted to know if there is anyone out there who uses a similar mixer and is able to get smooth buttercream.. If you do, please tell me your secret. I don't like using the storebought frosting but I end up using it because my cakes do not end up smooth. 

Thank you

5 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 6

After you mix it give it a good mix with a spatula to finish, it will knock most of those bubbles out.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 27 Mar 2018 , 2:08am
post #3 of 6

I make my buttercream in a 12 quart mixer, but I alway remix the portions I need using my Sunbeam two beater mixer like yours.  The trick is to have enough icing in the bowl to cover the beaters up to their shafts...this prevents beating in air.  Also, scrape the bowl frequently.  If you buttercream is too stiff it will also be harder to get the bubbles out.  Hope this helps.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2018 , 2:19am
post #4 of 6

mixing it right is key of course -- but if you find yourself already icing with it -- run your icing spatula the opposite direction and the bubble holes will disappear easier -- if you're icing it east -- run the spatula the other way -- works

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 27 Mar 2018 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 6

My MIL had a mixer like that. My advice is throw it out and get a KitchenAid (which she did). :P

Sorry, not sure about the bubbles; I have the same problem but I suspect I'm just not mixing it long enough or using enough butter.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Mar 2018 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 6

When mixing up the smaller amounts as Jeff mentions use a wire whisk and work it in a figure 8 slowly. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%