Nailed It Makes By Baker Heart Hurt

Lounge By whatthedogate Updated 22 Mar 2018 , 2:33pm by jchuck

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 25

Have you guys seen this show on Netflix?  https://www.netflix.com/title/80179138  Hubby showed me a couple of episodes last night.   I'm conflicted...one part of me  just wants to reach through the TV and help those poor souls.   The other part of me wants to scream, "Get out of that kitchen and stop wasting buttercream!"  And the supply  pantry is amazing! No mere mortal should be allowed near it! 

24 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 25

Mike and I have watched a few episodes, but don't like it very much.  Personally, I find the "pro" cakes to be pretty crude in the first place and watching people who have never touched a cake pan try to replicate it really is painful.  Not my favorite program.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 25

Haven't seen it.  Probably won't watch it. It's bad enough to watch the pro's get insulted and harassed by the so called 'Judges' on the current cake shows.  I don't think that degrading and humiliating rookies and unskilled people is entertainment worthy. ~~~~~~~~~~ People just seem to want to be on television so badly that they'll do anything, don't they. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 25

thanks for the heads up -- we've been so long away from Netflix they gave us another free month -- ha! I had this on my list but i'm deleting it -- I do like the british and american baking competitions though -- usually on pbs -- those are pretty cool -- but there too -- not ever seeing or eating the final product is baking pure blind which is silly -- although not to the degree you all have described with the nailed show -- thanks guys

-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 25

and I get weary of gordon ramsey yelling at the ones on hell's kitchen -- he seems to do well with the little kid chefs though -- dude, I didn't know a shallot from a artichoke when I was 8, 18, 28, 38 --  they shoot straight with those kids but I can't believe they can absorb that much criticism either  -- I know they edit stuff out but idk -- they must do a ton of counseling and training

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 25

Never heard of it.  Netflix  won't let me sign ujp for the 'free one month' :(   I'd probably share you feelings - conflicted for sure! K8:  I cannot abide Gordon's foul mouth and won't watch anything w/him near it :( 

-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 25

yeah -- one really can't defend him - but the kid's show is interesting -- and the girl judge is a big pastry person -- her place is called milk something or other

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 25

I hate Gordon Ramsey!  He is the biggest jerk ever to be on television and right behind him is Anthony Bourdaine.  Don't like Buddy Valastro (Carlo's Bakery), but love Duff Goldman (Charm City Cakes).  Mike and my favorite is The Great British Bake Off - those dudes can bake!!  We also like Next Food Network Star, Beat Bobby Flay, Iron Chef America and Worse Cooks in America.  Can you tell we watch a lot of Food Network?

-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 10:25pm
post #9 of 25

yeah -- that's it -- the great british bake off -- there's an american version too

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 25

I have not seen the American version, but I would love to.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 19 Mar 2018 , 12:11am
post #11 of 25

I don't like shows that deliberately embarrass people. Not enjoyable. 

You should all watch The Spring Baking Championship. For the USA first show was several days ago on the Food Network. Here in Canada, first episode is tonight. Aaron of Happy Belly cakes/Nfl & Labrador is one of the contestant..woo hoo. First Canadian. Can't wait to watch.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 2:03pm
post #12 of 25

I added it to my list to watch.  I don't know the premise of the show but I was just assuming it is a bunch of novice bakers who try to replicate a cake and have gone into the competition knowing that they aren't going to be making a masterpiece by any means.  I mean even the name of the show is basically saying that the cakes that are made are going to be big old fails so I don't think the contestants are expecting high praise but rather jokes and laughs at their creations.  Then again, I haven't seen the show so I may be completely off base.

The only competition shows I have seen are on Food Network.  I like the Holiday/Spring Baking Championships.  I also like watching the kids baking shows mainly because when I was 10 I don't think I had the mental capacity to remember recipes or come up with something on the spot like that.

As for Gordon Ramsey, I have heard that he is super hard (mean and foul language) on the adults because he feels like they should just know better.  They are on a show to win a shot at being a head chef at one of his restaurants so these aren't novice cooks.  So when they make dumb, novice mistakes he isn't going to tread lightly.  Plus it is a tv show and the yelling and insults probably are seen by producers as "good tv."  As for the kids, they are still learning and growing as cooks and he wants to mentor and help them become better.  Plus I feel like kids are a bit more resilient and willing to listen then adults who think they have it all figured out.  

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 21 Mar 2018 , 2:45am
post #13 of 25

Now, I have never heard of it before this thread. But lo and behold, I went to my dr's office at lunch and guess what was on the tv!!! Nailed it or Failed it. It was the sorriest excuse for a baking show. Ok, so the bakers had professional cookies made that look just like each contestant. They were supposed to recreate them and they were Terrible! The winner of that challenge won a complete set of piping tips in a case. I laughed so hard.

Then, to win $10,000 they had 2 hours to bake and decorate a replica of a Donald Trump bust cake. OMG. That DT cake was the creepiest thing I've ever seen made out of cake. And they were supposed to duplicate it in 2 hours. The head was a wig head they were supposed to cover in fondant and modeling choc, and were supposed to bake cake that would be used for the shoulders/top part of torso, and recreate the garlic press hair.

Thank goodness I did not have to see the finished cakes.  There were 3 judges and one was an actual chef, and I felt sorry for him the most.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 21 Mar 2018 , 3:06am
post #14 of 25

OMg, I just looked up the episode that I saw today, and here is how it ended.

https://decider.com/2018/03/14/nailed-it-trump-cake-fail/

TheCakeDude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeDude Posted 21 Mar 2018 , 3:08pm
post #15 of 25

Just had to put in my 2 cents here.... :)

Things are not always as they seem! I have been on a few food net shows, and have met and worked on a show with Duff Goldman. I always looked up to Duff, ever since I was first inspired to make cakes. He really was the reason I got so into it, with his rag tag team of artists on Ace of Cakes!

Fast forward to 2013 and I am living my dream of making a cake in his LA cake shop for the show Duff Till Dawn. Super inspiring, right? Well, when I shook his hand and told him it was an honor, and that he inspired me to start cakin', he simply said "cool...", rolled his eyes and turned away. Later in the shoot he angrily yelled at a customer simply walking in to try to redeem a free cupcake coupon, to the extent that we were all cringing! I know the stress of Hollywood and filming is likely the culprit, but still...take a minute for your fans dude! It wasn't like I approached him on the street! (Geoff Manthorne, though, super cool and down to earth dude. He actually cared when I gushed to him!)

On the other hand, I have heard from show wranglers that have worked on Master Chef that Gordon Ramsey is the sweetest dude, and only puts on that front for television. You can see what I mean when you watch the Junior version and he is delightfully getting syrup poured on his head by the youngins!

Don't get fooled by the personas you see on TV, for better or worse! :)

jchuck Posted 21 Mar 2018 , 3:27pm
post #16 of 25

Oh yes TheCakeDude Nothing is at it seems on reality tv. My son in law has filmed reality tv and had many stories about what when on. So much phoney baloney. Know many get changed by "fame". Don't suppose Duff ever expected such a meteoric rise. But then again, you can be as busy as you allow yourself to be. I actually don't watch any of the shows cause I know they are unrealistic.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2018 , 4:11pm
post #17 of 25

I got to know gordon ramsay as a tv personality better when I watched his show called "the-f-word" the tag line is "it's food not rude" smile he's pretty cool -- and while he does have a softer side he didn't get where he is by being sweet -- but just to name drop -- my son got to cook for him when he visited the resort he worked at -- kinda cool 

jchuck Posted 21 Mar 2018 , 4:18pm
post #18 of 25

K8memphis I know NO personalities are ever what there are portrayed on tv, or anywhere for that matter. Johhny Carson looked so much fun, friendly. In reality he was intensely shy, antisocial, and a depressed and deeply troubled man. All smoke and mirrors.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2018 , 4:22pm
post #19 of 25

yeah weird huh -- and bing crosby was not the charmer he was on screen either -- and i'm sure most of them -- but on the other side of that -- I saw a dr phil yesterday where demi lavato does mental health wonderfulness along with some of her concerts -- she herself needed help earlier in her life and she turned it around for herself and now she helps others -- pretty dang cool!

jchuck Posted 21 Mar 2018 , 4:26pm
post #20 of 25

Yes, I love it when a celebrity steps up to help. Even tho I’m not American, we like to tape CBS Sunday morning. Always interesting content. Last Sunday was about mental health. Glenn Close has stepped up because her nephew has schizophrenia and sister has serious bipolar. Mental illness runs in her family. She has created a foundation..putting her money where her mouth is.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2018 , 5:33pm
post #21 of 25

love that!

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Mar 2018 , 2:10am
post #22 of 25

As to TV personalities being much different than they appear, being so near Nashville, we have many country music stars living among us.  While I was still working, there was a restaurant on the river where we had lunch frequently. Quite a few times, Alan Jackson came in (he came by boat....and what a boat, guess it was a yacht) for lunch at the same time.  There was a buffet and I was often right beside him and always said hello, like I do with everyone.  He was so shy, he would hang his head and mumble hi back.  It took several times before he actually looked at me when he said hello.  It was rather enduring.

jchuck Posted 22 Mar 2018 , 3:11am
post #23 of 25

Yes Sandra not all personalities are "out there". Many are quiet and unassuming. Do there job, go home and live like regular people. Was Allan wearing his cowboy hat??

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Mar 2018 , 2:15pm
post #24 of 25

Nope, shorts and a baseball cap.  Didn't look nearly as sexy as with the cowboy hat, lol.

jchuck Posted 22 Mar 2018 , 2:33pm
post #25 of 25

Ha Ha Sandra...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%