Sizes Of Tiers

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 19 Mar 2018 , 10:02pm by SandraSmiley

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 7:43am
post #1 of 18

Can anyone tell me what sizes they used for this cake? Also is the glitter layer a dummy cake? I would like to make a similar version for my wedding in June. I would also like a light shade of purple either lavender or lilac. What color gel coloring would you suggest?Sizes Of Tiers

17 replies
GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 7:54am
post #2 of 18

12/10/8/6/4???

The glitter tier could be either gelatin cut outs, round sprinkles painted gold, or even rolled in gold sanding sugar?

sweettreat101 Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 18

What are gelatin cut outs? The gold sections are actually going to be silver. The gold layer looks like a dummy cake to me because it's so perfect. I want the sparkle on that tier and I know its not good to eat disco dust so I was considering using a cake dummy unless there's another safe option. Any idea on the sizes of the cake pans used and how to achieve the look of the bottom two tiers? Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you

a

sweettreat101 Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 18

Sorry I didn't see the sizes you had listed. Do you think it'd look ok if I used a 14" cake? My fiance told me 50 guest's now we are up to 275.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 18

this cake -- especially the bottom tier décor is time consuming -- are you making a cake for 275? that means that the largest tier will have the most time consuming décor --  i'm just concerned about you attempting this as the bride --

all that being said -- check out evil cake genius for sequins -- it's a little different look for the sparkley tier -- but it's once & done and she has videos -- you could get there with sanding sugar as gigglebox mentioned too --

also -- the color you want can be elusive -- not the easiest color to work with -- sunlight can possibly effect it  -- vanilla can effect it if you use real vanilla and why would you use anything else -- the light purple dusts on the flowers will hold better than the icing being lilac -- but you could buy fondant already colored:

https://www.amazon.com/Satin-Ice-Rolled-Fondant-Lavender/dp/B0047WNPYU/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1521298938&sr=8-1&keywords=lilac%2Bfondant&dpID=41gH6lF4bsL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

like for the bottom tier especially -- if you got a couple dedicated bridesmaids to help you could slap it out but it's a ton of last minute work -- you need to set up a practice cake while you have time to see how you'll do

a 14" bottom tier in a 5 tier cake will not produce 275 servings -- and for nearly 300 people it will most likely look too small for the crowd  -- did you mean you went from 50 to 275?

sweettreat101 Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 18

My fiance told me he was only inviting 50 people then it grew to over 210 that was before adding my friends and family. I plan on decorating most of the tiers on Thursday and refrigerating them until Saturday. Thank you for the advice.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 18

Well, here's my two cents, lol.  First of all, go ahead and make the five tier cake, or even seven, if you want to really make a statement, but use a dummy for the bottom tier.  Maybe a 16 or 14 inch dummy, and you can start decorating it right now.  The petal look is done by using a simple five petal blossom cutter on super thin fondant and sort of folding and squishing them close together.  It does take a long time, but you can make it well in advance and it will keep perfectly.  Great idea to have the brides mades lend a hand!

Next, I would use another dummy tier for the sequins.  That way you can use the brightest, blingiest silver you can find and not have to worry about consumption.  This can also be done well in advance.

-K8memphis is right, lavender is very illusive.  If you choose to go with it, add a little bit of baking soda to your fondant, gum paste and/or buttercream (it will not affect the taste) and it will help with stability.  Also, have your cake boxes ready and put the tiers inside as soon as they are covered to keep them away from light, especially SUN!  It kills lavender in about two seconds.  A lavender luster dust would add a soft shine and be more stable.

OK, you are still in need of cake servings.  Sheets cakes can easily make up the extra servings and be made ahead and frozen, even with finished buttercream.

You are going to want to do as much ahead of time as you possibly can so you will have a chance to enjoy your own wedding! Good luck to you and congratulations!

TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 18

The bottom tier use the 14'' and 5 layers.  Use very good support structure as well.

For the next tier it looks like it may be a textured ganache (done with tin foil) or a type of stencil.  As for the glitter tier, couple of options, use the sequin round candies and airbrush them with gold, or make your own gold gelatin sequins and then airbrush with gold or a sheen.

YouTube has several  video's on all I mentioned above.

I agree with everyone else on the colors, did similar colors for a cake and it took some time to match those purples.  Your the bride...this is a lot of cake, to bake, decorate, transport, and set up  on your special day!

Good luck and do recruit for help getting it done, I am sure it will be beautiful!

TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 8:03pm
post #9 of 18

Oh....you can do everything in silver I had mentioned the same way

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 18

yeah weddings are a bit of a roller coaster ride -- I love Sandra's ideas for the advance work in foam -- brilliant -- 

http://evilcakegenius.com/index.php/sprinkles-sequins-silver.html

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 18

sweet treat -- check out this -- the only difference is it's thinner and ecg cuts out squares -- but you save all the time of rolling and keeping it from drying etc. -- wonder how much this stuff costs though -- it doesn't seem mortally exhorbitantly pricey but it would not be inexpensive to do a 14" -- so it's a trade off -- price for convenience 

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 10:49pm
post #12 of 18
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 11:20pm
post #13 of 18

I've never bought edible fabric sheets, but I've made it at home.  It is a gelatin based mixture spread on wafer paper.  While it is pretty, I cannot even imagine covering a whole cake tier with it.  YUCK!  Oh, I forgot, that tier is styrofoam, maybe.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 18

well y'know for that matter you could use decoupaged fabric on a dummy cake

sweettreat101 Posted 19 Mar 2018 , 2:23pm
post #15 of 18

K8memphis that product would be great I wonder how many sheets I would need to cover a 14" cake. Would airbrush colors work better for the purple? If so it might be time for me to invest in an airbrush. Purple was my grandma's favorite color as well as mine and she is no longer here. I agree making own cake is a crazy idea but I have been decorating for 18 years and my friends are expecting me to make own cake. I will be using the SPS system to stack the cake. To save time I think I will use a cake dummy and disco dust. I plan on baking and freezing the cakes ahead of time and start decorating on Thursday for my Saturday wedding. Sheet cakes will be used for extra serving. Thank you everyone I appreciate the advice. I lost the passion for cakes a couple of years ago so I'm getting a little rusty. Lol

-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2018 , 2:34pm
post #16 of 18

get friends to roll out fondant for you -- anyone can knead and roll out small sections -- get an extra cutter --  it's cheaper, you can have a lot of fun doing it -- and well in advance because it's a dummy cake -- have a dummy cake party -- or a ruffled cake party or something -- add in a couple pizzas & stuff -- you could even have your groom pitch in -- why not -- my husband learned to do cut out cookies & stuff --

I haven't exactly tested/compared purple/lilac/lavender air brush color to gel color -- but powdered would hold well -- 

lemme know how it goes

-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2018 , 2:57pm
post #17 of 18

for the fondant rolling -- find rulers the thickness of how thin you want the fondant to be -- everyone can roll down on those -- y'know one on either side of the fondant -- easy peasy -- put down parchment over & under -- no worries -- have a blast -- I wanna come!

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Mar 2018 , 10:02pm
post #18 of 18

Me, too!  I'll bring a bottle of wine!  We'll have that tier knocked out in no time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%