American Buttercream Problem

Decorating By T-Breakz Updated 5 Nov 2017 , 2:15am by T-Breakz

T-Breakz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-Breakz Posted 29 Oct 2017 , 8:18am
post #1 of 36

Hi. I've been baking for years now and never had an issue with American Buttercream before. I usually used it for outdoor events since it's stable and can last outside without melting into a gooey mess. 

However, I faced with a cake disaster last month. It was a 2 tier unicorn cake and not only the rosettes cracked from the base frosting but half of it came off from the cake taking even the crumbcoat with it. It was like a landslide!

Some people told me that maybe my crumb coat and/or my frosting already crusted before I piped my rosettes so I did a trial using styrofoam cake wrapped with cling wrap. It's the same if not worse. 

I tried 2 different recipes and it's as before:

ABC: 100g butter, 100g crisco, 500g icing sugar, 1 tsp vanilla & 2 tbsp water

Modified ABC: 100g butter, 100g crisco, 388g icing sugar, 1 tsp vanilla & 2 tsp water

I really don't know what is wrong. One thing I noticed is that the buttercream isn't as oily as it used to be and I'm not sure why. Please help. 

35 replies
T-Breakz Posted 29 Oct 2017 , 8:23am
post #2 of 36

This is the 2-tier unicorn cake. See the cracking part? This was just the starting of the disaster. I didn't take more photos as I was too emotional after that.

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 29 Oct 2017 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 36

Did you use the hot knife method to smooth your buttercream under the rosettes?

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 29 Oct 2017 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 36

I wonder if the rosettes were just too heavy and gravity took over?  I have noticed major issues with my own buttercream lately and I wonder if Crisco has altered their product again?  Mine seems to actually seep some sort of clear liquid while on the cake, (or separates in the tub) and if I don't time everything just right, it will cause the icing to slide off the cake during transportation just like yours!!  It's horribly frustrating and causes me mountains of stress!!

T-Breakz Posted 29 Oct 2017 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 36

Quote by @sunlover00 on 1 minute ago

I wonder if the rosettes were just too heavy and gravity took over?  I have noticed major issues with my own buttercream lately and I wonder if Crisco has altered their product again?  Mine seems to actually seep some sort of clear liquid while on the cake, (or separates in the tub) and if I don't time everything just right, it will cause the icing to slide off the cake during transportation just like yours!!  It's horribly frustrating and causes me mountains of stress!!

I have that clear liquid problem too! I took a photo of it. I'll post it in the next reply. I did read that Crisco changed to no trans fats but I'm not sure when they did it. I didn't have any of there's issues last year though. Piping flowers on cupcakes doesn't give me a problem either. 

Quote by @GIGGLEBOX2014 on 1 hour ago

Did you use the hot knife method to smooth your buttercream under the rosettes?

Yes I did for the top tier but the bottom tier was just crumb coated. Am I not supposed to do that?

T-Breakz Posted 29 Oct 2017 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 36

This is the trial I did using foam cake. There's a puddle of clear liquid at the bottom and rosettes are sliding off. Seems like the rosettes are pulling everything down.

Second photo is showing the cracks. It started cracking/sliding off right after I finish piping everything. 

sunlover00 Posted 29 Oct 2017 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 36

this is exactly what happens to me too.  I hate it.  I can't believe there isn't a fix out there other than using Sweetex.  You'd sure think that adding meringue powder or SOMETHING that could bind the ingredients together.  Hope there's an answer out there.

T-Breakz Posted 30 Oct 2017 , 1:13am
post #8 of 36

Quote by @sunlover00 on 5 hours ago

this is exactly what happens to me too.  I hate it.  I can't believe there isn't a fix out there other than using Sweetex.  You'd sure think that adding meringue powder or SOMETHING that could bind the ingredients together.  Hope there's an answer out there.

Doesn't meringue powder makes it harder/drier so it'll be less likely to stick? That's what I read so I never used it before. 

I've never seen Sweetex in our local baking stores. It's only house brand and Crisco. According to shop assistant, the house brand has lower melting point so it's not advisable for buttercream. 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 30 Oct 2017 , 11:48am
post #9 of 36

I use the Wal-Mart brand shortening in my ABC since Crisco isn't reliable. But I have noticed when I use the hot knife method I run into issues I do not have any other time. I've quit using it. I've had the icing completely detach from the side of the cake similar to what you described. It's the only times I've experienced such issues. I don't know if it softens the underneath buttercream coat too much or what?

T-Breakz Posted 30 Oct 2017 , 12:21pm
post #10 of 36

Quote by @GIGGLEBOX2014 on 28 minutes ago

I use the Wal-Mart brand shortening in my ABC since Crisco isn't reliable. But I have noticed when I use the hot knife method I run into issues I do not have any other time. I've quit using it. I've had the icing completely detach from the side of the cake similar to what you described. It's the only times I've experienced such issues. I don't know if it softens the underneath buttercream coat too much or what?

Actually mine started before even the hot knife stage, it was slowly becoming / \  instead of | |, if you know what I mean. Ugh! I'm bad in describing things. So I guess it's really Crisco huh...

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 30 Oct 2017 , 1:27pm
post #11 of 36

If Sweetex now has no trans fat either then why is it better than crisco? I thought they changed all of it to no trans fat!!! I remember someone saying once that although sweetex is no longer trans fat, it still makes creamier frosting and more of the old type of bakery frosting from years ago. Is that still true?  I have never had any problem with using crisco nor have I ever had a problem with it sliding off my cake. I sure hope mine doesn't start doing this next time I make a  cake!! This would be frustrating for anyone trying to make cakes!!! Sorry this happened to you!!! Hoping someone here has an answer. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 30 Oct 2017 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 36

Forgot to say that I only use the crisco baking sticks not the crisco that comes out of the big can. Not sure if this makes a difference or not. 

sunlover00 Posted 30 Oct 2017 , 8:27pm
post #13 of 36

good question about the no trans fat...

sunlover00 Posted 30 Oct 2017 , 8:47pm
post #14 of 36

Found this article on buttercream.  So....how can anyone afford to use all butter all the time?  Not where I live...they won't pay those kind of prices. :(

Duff’s Buttercream No-No’s:

American buttercream isn’t “real” buttercream.

What most people know as buttercream is simply butter that has been whipped with flavoring, powdered sugar, and some milk. A real buttercream (French, Swiss, Italian) is made by adding butter to a meringue. Real buttercream – made with a meringue – is about 40% less fat per serving than the American buttercream made sans meringue.

So…does this mean that real buttercream is good for you and you can eat as much as you want of it? No, but it is lighter and much more suitable for cakes and cupcakes. It also finishes cleaner, explains Duff. It’s more revolutionized than simply whipped butter.

You cannot make real buttercream with powdered sugar.

Duff explained to us that powdered sugar contains a small amount of cornstarch, which would prevent the proteins in the eggs from forming tiny air bubbles that hold the moisture in place. Basically, the meringue will not form properly if powdered sugar is used.

Do not use shortening (like Crisco) in buttercreams.

Any buttercream that is made with oils is not real buttercream. Hydrogenated oils like shortening (Crisco) do not suffice in buttercream. According to Duff, many if not all popular grocery store chains sell cakes topped with this type of frosting. Not only does it not taste as good (plastic comes to mind), but it’s also worse for our bodies and digestive systems. 

Why do grocery stores make this type of buttercream? Duff explains that it’s cheap to make and heat-resistant, making it easy to work with. It’s also pure white, so it gives cake decorators a canvas to work with. 

Buttercream should not have a “greasy” effect in the mouth.

You’ll be able to tell if a buttercream was made with oil or shortening if it makes your mouth feel greasy or sticky. Duff explains that butter melts somewhere between 82-92 degrees, while hydrogenated oils melt at body temperature (98.6). Buttercreams made with oil stay in our mouths with a coating effect and lend a sticky greasiness. Blech. Buttercream should finish clean.

Ok, cool. So how do I make a good buttercream?

·         You need three base ingredients: egg whites, granulated sugar, and butter. Of course, vanilla, salt, and flavorings are optional.

·         Make sure you’re using a quality butter. Duff tells us to look at the fat content – butter should be made mostly of…butter, y’all. You don’t want to see a high percentage of milk solids and/or water content in the ingredients list.

·         Make sure your butter is at room temperature before beginning.

·         A standing mixer makes things much, much easier.

·         Have a super duper dry mixing bowl. The meringue won’t rise in a dirty or even slightly wet bowl. You can use lemon juice or vinegar to clean bowls and utensils with lingering grease.

·         If the frosting starts to break, just continue to beat for another three minutes and a smooth creamy texture will result. It’ll get there.

·         It’s okay if a teeny tiny bit of egg yolk accidentally gets into the meringue, but too much yolk (fat) will prevent the meringue from rising. No fat is allowed until the butter is ready to be incorporated.

·         Overall, your buttercream should be fluffy and soft with a satin-like appearance. Most buttercream frostings are quite stable and can be left out at room temperature for a couple days. 

Here’s a recipe for standard meringue buttercream.

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/2265/duff-goldman-butter-cream

T-Breakz Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 1:37am
post #15 of 36

So what other shortening has trans fats then? I don't know if I should give the local brand shortening a try since I was told it had lower melting point. 

And Crisco here comes in cans, never see the stick types before but I don't think it makes any difference.

I used 3 types (whipped cream, abc & smbc) of frosting for my clients depending on their preference and weather it's an outdoor or indoor event. Singapore is a tropical country so while whipped cream & SMBC are light and taste great, those won't hold for outdoor events, hence the usage of ABC. 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 4:04am
post #16 of 36
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 1:48pm
post #17 of 36

add cornstarch to bind up the icing -- 

T-Breakz Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 1:54pm
post #18 of 36

Quote by @-K8memphis on 3 minutes ago

add cornstarch to bind up the icing -- 

Can you explain how does this work?

Never seen this brand in any local stores before :(

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 1:54pm
post #19 of 36

american buttercream is too buttercream -- duff sincerely annoys me with that comment --

(not duff) everyone who poo-poos american buttercream as awful is just revealing they can't make it -- sure there's a lot of everything/anything -- any substance -- any recipe -- that's crummy but not all 100% of it is crap -- 

i've made granulated sugar swiss meringue buttercream that leaked liquid like that -- everything can happen to everything --

maybe the only absolute in baking is that there are no absolutes

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 1:57pm
post #20 of 36

if you have one recipe of icing you want to ensure that will not separate -- put in a quarter to a half up of corn starch and mix it well -- 

i don't think i understand what you mean -- starch binds things up

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 1:58pm
post #21 of 36

post #20 is to answer t-breakz ^^^

T-Breakz Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 2:46pm
post #22 of 36

My SMBC do sweat after taking out from the fridge but nothing major. I normally use a tissue to just absorb the larger liquid droplets and it's fine. 

Do you mean that the ABC is sliding down and cracking because it's separating (not binded), hence adding cornstarch?

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 10:30pm
post #23 of 36

i suggested that you add cornstarch to avoid the liquid separating out of your icing -- i was not addressing the cracking problem

sunlover00 Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 11:35pm
post #24 of 36

So 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cornstarch to 2 lbs of shortening? (approx)?   Just to clarify what "per recipe" amounts might be. :) 

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2017 , 12:40am
post #25 of 36

i've never put two pounds of shortening in a buttercream recipe -- do it any way you want -- i thought you had a recipe since you made that cake 

this video has a recipe as well as how to make it -- scroll down for the video

https://www.dominosugar.com/baking-tips-how-tos/how-to-make-perfect-frosting/how-to-make-buttercream-frosting

T-Breakz Posted 1 Nov 2017 , 11:08am
post #26 of 36

Quote by @-K8memphis on 12 hours ago

i suggested that you add cornstarch to avoid the liquid separating out of your icing -- i was not addressing the cracking problem

Oh! Wouldn't corn starch make the frosting harder? When I peeled off the whole frosting from the dummy cake, it felt like dough. I could even roll it into a ball

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2017 , 12:13pm
post #27 of 36

no

CupCake.Goddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake.Goddess Posted 1 Nov 2017 , 6:31pm
post #28 of 36

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 day ago

american buttercream is too buttercream -- duff sincerely annoys me with that comment --

Me too -K8memphis and I'll add he's an absolute butt on Twitter.  His ego is bigger than his successes. Not everyone has money to shell on butter all the time.  Even if we did, what customer would pay to cover our costs?

SMBC tastes SO good! However, it is very temperamental and certainly will not make it in the heat!

GIGGLEBOX2014 I use the Great Value brand too.  Never had a complaint! : )

T-Breakz Posted 3 Nov 2017 , 3:44am
post #29 of 36

Haha customers usually want cheap and good

I guess I have to on shortening hunting. Just hope that there's other brands other Crisco in Singapore

If anyone else have other solution/suggestions, please help :)

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 3 Nov 2017 , 1:43pm
post #30 of 36

It might not be the crisco at all, but the brand of icing sugar you are using.  They may have changed the ratio of cornstarch to sugar in the product and this can cause the icing to separate, crack, split and slide.

Add 3 TBSP of cornstarch to your single ABC recipe.  It will stabilise and prevent this issue.  I use crisco all the time and have never had this issue.   I add the extra cornstarch to my ABC for outdoor weddings in the summer as it can get very hot and humid here and I've never had any issues.

Good Luck 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%