Transporting Cake. Keeping It Cool.

Decorating By aprilfromLa Updated 16 Oct 2017 , 10:18am by -K8memphis

aprilfromLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilfromLa Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 17

Suggestions on transporting wedding cake 2 hours away and keeping it cool. 

Not a pro.. I've never had to bring a cake this far away. My 72 year old aunt is getting married. I'm making her cake but I'm worried about keeping it cool in the back of my suv. Makes me want to go trade my car in for one with back a.c. vents lol  I'm not going to assemble it until we get there. Hubby driving makes me nervous with a cake back there lol. 

One tier will have cream cheese filling. One will have Bavarian. It may be October but it's still 90 degrees in Louisiana. 

I have a 60 quart ice chest. Not sure if they will all fit in there but I may try that. I'm making semi naked cakes because she loves the rustic look. Which is fine by me  less icing and decorating. 

Also thought about outing ice packs like kids take in their lunch box on the bottom of plastic bin covered in a towel or something and placing cakes on top

I really don't know what I'm doing. Wish she wouldn't have asked me. I need to stop biting off more than I can chew. 

Help please tia

16 replies
aprilfromLa Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 17

**putting bout outing ice packs

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 17

those fillings require you to keep the cakes at like 39-40 degrees -- i use corrugated cardboard boxes because i've tested it in memphis heat -- works a charm as they say -- but those fillings are potentially hazardous and a pia to handle locally much less two hours away -- when i agreed to do a cake like that -- i always advised that the cake will be delivered -- aka in your case -- unboxed set up -- at the last possible minute to extend the shelf life -- 

it's a big deal -- should not be attempted by amateurs -- has the potential to sicken people -- you need to read up on the how to's  

tier cakes have two purposes -- one is the focal point of the reception -- the other is dessert -- the hazardous fillings cut down on the time it can do it's job as a focal point -- and if it's left out too long that cuts into it's viability to being served to the crowd as a dessert without making someone sick --

idk -- that's a very tall order without a sanitation class

-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 17

wait, i mean the boxes keep the cakes chilled -- i did not test if it holds them at 40 degrees

aprilfromLa Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 17

Ok thanks. I'm going to try to convince her that I can't use those fillings  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 17

Has no one suggested using vinigar in your icing so it will taste like cr ch?  Wasn't it K8 who 1st mentioned that?  I didn't memorize the 'recipe' but hopefully someone will jump on here w/help on that.

kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 17

Oh, and another idea is Earlene Moore has a good cr ch icing recipe on her site that is safe not refrigerated.   Look her up on google. 

-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 17
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 17

and there is a sleeve bavarian cream too -- you don't have to fridge it --

https://www.globalsugarart.com/bavarian-cream-filling-by-henry-henry.html

i didn't say anything because you are already over your head and it didn't seem like you really needed to go testing recipes --  

still bavarian filling in a naked cake takes a seasoned hand --

good luck!

how may servings?

-K8memphis Posted 14 Oct 2017 , 1:51am
post #10 of 17

*many

-K8memphis Posted 14 Oct 2017 , 3:20pm
post #11 of 17

read this for a real eye opener and she's a veteran caker:

https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/845695/cake-mysteriously-collapsed

keep it as simple as possible is my sincere advice

kakeladi Posted 14 Oct 2017 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 17

K8 you're right referring her to that link!  Even it is probably my most favorite filling, using that sleeved Bavarian in a naked cake could lead to that typ e of terrible ending :(

aprilfromLa Posted 14 Oct 2017 , 9:51pm
post #13 of 17

I think she invited 100 people. I also have to do this train cake for her groom. 

The ceremony will be outside but the reception inside. I would love if a cold front would swoop in lol. I use the pineapple, vanilla pudding and cream cheese filling  recipe from this site and have never had any problems with it getting anyone sick. But it never lasts that long. People gobble it up. 

Would it help any if the cakes were kept in the fridge until the last minute before we left?  

What about pudding and cool whip as a filling?  We have been eating chocolate pudding and cool whip since I wad a kid. 

I really appreciate you guys. I'm always reading and admire your work on here. 

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 2:45pm
post #14 of 17

you will not know who gets sick out of 100 people -- if i was there it might be me -- the older, the already sick ones -- crohn's peeps for example and the very young -- they spend an extra agonizing time in the bathroom -- later --

in memphis decorated cake comes under catering because when you serve people like this there's a much greater responsibility for sure --

you need to make something that can travel and sit out safely -- buttercream :) is your friend -- you can have a lovely cake for her -- make her some cupcakes with those fillings and keep them cold

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 4:41pm
post #15 of 17

ok wait -- does it mean 100 people so she sent 50 invites -- or she sent 100 invites that represents 200 people -- what about kids -- what about blanket invites to church/clubs/neighborhood -- i never went wrong in over 40 years with "half your people who were invited show up/need cake" -- but you have to determine how many heads are actually invited to it -- 

aprilfromLa Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 11:05pm
post #16 of 17

Thank you all for your great advice. I won't be using the Bavarian cream.  I am doing this for her because she's family she is only buying ingredients so I hate to say it but she's going to have to be happy with what she gets. I keep leaving messages for her and her daughter but haven't heard anything. So I'm going to go with what I think I can pull off. 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2017 , 10:18am
post #17 of 17

april -- good decision -- tier cakes and deadlines are different than any other kind of cake -- add in a two hour delivery and taking or wearing wedding attire -- 16,000 details -- sure it's do-able but it's a tall order for non-pros -- plus such a special occasion -- it's not the time to learn new tricks -- i really like your plan -- i'm usually on here -- so anything else comes up -- i'm at your service --

best to you and best baking, decorating and delivering -- when it's all over -- i'd love to hear about your emotions all the way through -- when i do a family cake i am so spent afterward -- it's just all the excitement of the wedding added with the scope of work, anticipation and that i'm "at work" until i walk away from the cake table and wearing dress clothes instead of work clothes -- ready for pictures to last a lifetime -- idk -- quite an adventure -- wouldn't change it for the world --  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%