Glue - What To Use?

Decorating By LynneCakes Updated 30 Sep 2017 , 8:09pm by LynneCakes

LynneCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynneCakes Posted 30 Sep 2017 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 5

I have cake toppers to do, each with a half styrofoam ball into which I'll be sticking gum paste flowers.  The ball will sit on a plastic separator plate which will be pushed into the top of the buttercream cakes.  My questions is what to use to glue the balls onto the plastic plates?  Is it ok to hot glue gun it, or should I use Royal icing?  I want something rock solid but even though the plastic plates will separate the flower arrangement from the actual cake, I'm reluctant to use actual glue.  Would this be ok?  Or is Royal just as good?

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 30 Sep 2017 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 5

Lynne, I think the RI would be more than sufficient or melted chocolate, if you really want a strong bond.  Hot glue would be safe, I am sure, with the plastic separator between it and the cake, but a bit of over kill and not really necessary.

LynneCakes Posted 30 Sep 2017 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks again!  I'll stick to the Royal.  I'm posting yet another question so stay tuned  ;)  Can you tell I'm revving up for flower making?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Sep 2017 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 5

I just use a blob of b'cxream.   Hot glue will melt the styro :(   But royal or melted choco are good choises tool

LynneCakes Posted 30 Sep 2017 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 5

Oh.  I didn't think of that!  Thank God for this forum ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%