MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 21 Sep 2017 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 7

Why has vanilla extract more than doubled in price in the last few months

6 replies
LynneCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynneCakes Posted 21 Sep 2017 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 7

I used to buy 500 ml of Kirkland pure vanilla extract at Costco.  Cost was $9.99.  That was up to $24.99 January of this year.  And now this SAME bottle is up to $38.99!  Something about worldwide shortage in vanilla beans.  The plants were not producing as per past years.  So dwindling supply can't keep up with the demand!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2017 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 7

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vanilla-bean-shortage-madagascar-drives-up-us-prices/

"The good news is there may soon be more vanilla to meet the increased demand. Supplies were already low a couple years ago when a drought made things even worse. But people who’ve been to Madagascar recently say the next crop of vanilla is looking good, meaning prices could soon come down."

MamaGeese Posted 21 Sep 2017 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 7

Oh I hope so! I always like to use the good stuff, although I've heard some pros say that it (Americas Test Kitchen, Jay Qualls) really doesn't make that much difference because of the ratio of extract to batter volume....do any of you CC pros have any acceptable alternatives?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Sep 2017 , 12:21am
post #5 of 7

Well, I am not a professional test kitchen or baker, BUT I AM a professional junk food junkie with my desserts of choice being homemade cakes, pies and cookies and I can certainly tell the difference in real vanilla and artificial.  In my opinion, one is real vanilla and the other is not much of anything, practically tasteless.

MamaGeese Posted 22 Sep 2017 , 1:54am
post #6 of 7

Agreed, even the smell of the cheap stuff is weird

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 22 Sep 2017 , 2:42am
post #7 of 7

My local cake shop was out of vanilla and the owner told me that the price is going to double. She's been out of it for weeks...you know ...the good stuff...madagascar

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%