Bunge Shortening Help

Business By rshippo Updated 20 Sep 2017 , 9:06pm by SandraSmiley

rshippo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rshippo Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 10

Hi,  I really need help, I can't get my icing to work anymore, it won't smooth nicely.  my cakes look dreadful and I can't work it out.  The shortening is the same as I always use Bunge but I did notice it now says no trans fat.  After reading all the crisco posts I see that may be the cause of my problems.  I tried adding milk instead of water but it didn't help.  I'm at a loss as what to do.  As I have 2 50lb containers of the shortening I really want to work out the problem.  Any suggestions or if anyone has a recipe that works using Bunge shortening and is willing to share I would greatly appreciated it.   

9 replies
lisahandshoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisahandshoe Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 10

i am having same problem with my stratus shortening. I also tried crisco and aldi brand. icing is heavy and almost seems oily. I am at a loss on what to do?

rshippo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rshippo Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 10

I hate to hear your having problems too, but at least I know I'm not alone in my frustration.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 10

Perhaps you can get some lard and add a bit to each batch of icing you make?  That should give you the trans-fats needed.

Paola__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paola__ Posted 19 Sep 2017 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 10

lard has trans fats? I looked at my jar of lard and it says 0 grams trans fats. Is there something I'm missing?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Sep 2017 , 12:15am
post #6 of 10

Oh!  Sorry, I thought all lard was animal fat and that it would have it.   I don't use lard so didn't look at the lable.

Paola__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paola__ Posted 20 Sep 2017 , 1:21am
post #7 of 10

I also have a jar of tallow (cow fat) which lists a few grams of trans fat but those are a different kind of trans fat than those found in shortening and other vegetable oils. 

lisahandshoe Posted 20 Sep 2017 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 10

yes i bought lard and then realized no trans fat. :(

lisahandshoe Posted 20 Sep 2017 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 10

someone else had suggested using milk or half and half. may try that next

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Sep 2017 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 10

I am with you, @kakeladi ‍!  I thought the reason Crisco was invented in the first place was to get away from the trans fats in lard!  I don't use it either, but I know it makes really soft, flaky biscuits.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%