Freezing Cakes

Baking By MamaGeese Updated 20 Sep 2017 , 11:34pm by MamaGeese

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 15 Sep 2017 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 15

I have a large cake order coming up and will have to freeze some large layers ahead of time. Does anyone know a good way to store layers in a chest type freezer. I'm not sure if it's safe to stack them directly on top of each other? I've seen some people use those recycle tubs in the freezer for easier access, but they aren't wide enough. I'm wondering if once frozen do they need to be kept flat or if you could stand them up vertically and store that way? I'm afraid of damaging them and can't really afford to get an upright right now. Thanks!

14 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 15 Sep 2017 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 15

I freeze undecorated cake layers routinely so I can do ahead as much as possible.  I wrap each cake in several layers of plastic wrap, and then place on a cardboard circle for support/protection .  I wrap once more around the cake and cardboard circle to keep them together.  (the cardboard circle can be reused because it was not directly next to the cake).  I lay the cake flat without anything on top until it is well frozen.  Once frozen I have had no problems standing on end, or stacking with other frozen layers.  HTH

MamaGeese Posted 15 Sep 2017 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks!!! That helps a lot.....Now I won't be so worried...you explained it very well....

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2017 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 15

Yep, what yortma said :)   Actually, with the fact that the cake layers will be in the fzr only a week I just slip them into plastic bags.  I would fz those layers at least overnight before trying to stand them up on thier sides.  Maybe put a cake board top & bottom before you stand them ,   BTW: what is a 'large' cake to you?  Are we talking 16" or smaller? 

MamaGeese Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 15

14", 12, 9" and 6" tiers, also a 2 tier groom's cake and extra sheet cakes. When I said large, I actually meant quantity of layers. I will have to freeze ahead of time. Thanks for your help..Kakeladi, are you a wedding cake baker?

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 15

Yes I double wrap in plastic wrap and then wrap in foil or put each layer in a ziplock bag after the plastic wrap. I stack them in the freezer but I am usually just stacking two. You could spread out to freeze them then stack when frozen

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 15

Once they are frozen I wouldn't worry, put them vertical then shouldn't be a problem!

kakeladi Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 15

MamaGeese, I am retired - after decorating for over 30 yrs during which I owned 2 bakeries. 

MamaGeese Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 15

Wow.... I can't imagine the things you've seen and experienced. Well, I retired last year and have always baked.....so I got my Cottage Food License and am trying to make a go of it, but I'm almost 62 and very worried that this may be more demanding than I can handle, but we'll see. Wish I had done this 20 years ago. I'm glad you are so willing to share your knowledge with all of us

kakeladi Posted 19 Sep 2017 , 12:18am
post #10 of 15

Well I didn't get into decorating until about my 40s.  OUr daughter gave us just 6 weeks noticeto plan  her wedding.  I had never made a decorated cake but ended up making her wedding cake - 4 tiers w/side (satellite) cakes connected w/bridges :)  That was the style back then.  3 days later I was asked to make an emergency (3 day before) very small wedding cake, then  3 weeks after that another request for a 4 tier wed cake.  That's when I decided I really like this and started taking lessons :)

MamaGeese Posted 19 Sep 2017 , 12:22pm
post #11 of 15

Wow...so you bakery businesses were based totally on your WASC recipes? That's impressive.

have you noticed personally though how the cake mix formulas have changed? I know this is off topic, but I wonder if any of the so called professional cake mixes you have to order in bulk are really any better? I remember back in the day how much better the cake mixes were. 

kakeladi Posted 20 Sep 2017 , 12:12am
post #12 of 15

I used some 50# bags of mix that I was told  was 'the same as' Pilsbury.  I did have a bit of problems w/it but had a chance to talk\ to  a baker who made all the cakes for a bakery 'show'.  Once I mixed up my formula according to his instructions I never had another problem.   I guess my pallet is not so special as I really don't notice any difference in taste since the changes.   Also don't have to make any change in the recipoe even with the smaller weight of the 'new' mixes. 

MamaGeese Posted 20 Sep 2017 , 1:16am
post #13 of 15

Would you be willing to share those tips? The mixes  just seem so over leavened now to me.

kakeladi Posted 20 Sep 2017 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 15

Sorry, I can no longer remember that.  I tend to easily forget something I don't do/use for more than 6 months HAHAHA!   If I do remember anything a bout it there were 3 steps.....having to mix (by hand?) after each step before mixing the final stage.  It definately was just how the recipe/ingredients was put together/mixed.

MamaGeese Posted 20 Sep 2017 , 11:34pm
post #15 of 15

Yea I see a lot of pros recommend stirring in the flour by hand. I just can't do that, having had hand surgery earlier this year from overuse...my right thumb (dominate) is still somewhat weak. Not sure why, other than not over mixing the batter.... My memory isn't what it used to be either and I am not happy about it!  Sorry for this rambling 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%