Question About Frosting Sheets. Please Help.

Decorating By Julie5 Updated 15 Sep 2017 , 4:10am by remnant3333

Julie5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie5 Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 4:00am
post #1 of 3

Hey Guys! 

I'm making a cake for my 11 year old nieces bday this weekend and I'm attaching the cake that I am sort of using as inspiration for hers. I had icing sheets made of superheroes basically like this that I will be placing on the top and bottom tiers as shown. Thing is, this is all new for me these sheets! I have them here, they looks pretty good but I have questions about using them. So I use a sort of non-crusting buttercream, although it sort of gets hard enough for me to work with like I like it in the fridge after icing.  It's an American buttercream thats half hi ratio / half butter if that helps. Anyway, in my everyday cake world, and I like to repeat what I know works, I ice and smooth the night before an event. I then place in fridge. Every time. And I take the cake out the day of, and deliver to venue. So, for my questions.. I'm trying to decide how best to use these sheets. The person I got them from on ETSY suggested I ice like normal and put in fridge if I want. And the day of, take out and let the cake get a little more room temp again for a while then just stick them on. She suggested I do this about 30-45 minutes before its to be seen at the party! This concerned me because I'm not sure is she saying it won't look good if I do it the night before? Does it bleed or go strange? Would it especially be a bad idea to do the sheets and put it in the fridge like I always do? I feel like I want to put the sheets on freshly butter creamed caked and allow to sort of adhere for a bit then put in the fridge like I always do.. But I need someone to tell me if thats a bad idea. This being my first time using these I don't know if its a good idea to apply 30 minutes before the party. I just need suggestions. I don't want the color to bleed or be strange, but I also want it to meld a little with my cake and look professional. Ideas?Question About Frosting Sheets. Please Help.

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 3

Sorry you have not gotten a more timely reply - but there have been problmes w/the site.     I have little experience w/frosting sheets - but some.  I would follow her directions - put them on up to 1 hr. before.  I would not do them ahead and put into the frig.   It might wrinkle - don't think it will bleed.  Hopefully my answer will bring your post up higher so it will be seen by other who have more experience w/frosting sheets. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 15 Sep 2017 , 4:10am
post #3 of 3

Here is something I printed from the internet about frosting sheets. Hope this helps. 

How To Apply Image To Cake

Icing Image Instructions

1. Have a plain just-frosted cake ready. Do not apply any decorations before applying the image. Frosting should be butter cream, or common store-bought ready-to-spread frostings. For best results, use a white frosting where the images are to be placed.
  2. Frosting or icing should not be dry or have a skin.
  3. Remove Icing Image from bag and leave out in normal room conditions for about 15 minutes.
  4. Icing Image will peel away easily from backing paper. (If any difficulty, pull backing sheet over the sharp edge of a table, etc., and frosting sheet should come away from backing sheet or place image in the freezer for 15 seconds then peel).
  5. Lay PRINTED FROSTING SHEET on top of your cake by holding ends and applying middle first and then the ends. If any wrinkles, gently pat image to smooth out.
  6. Add border or edging of your choice to your cake.
  7. If you have not added text through the program, you may write on top of the image with frostings or jellies.

Hints

• Images do not need refrigeration.
  • If your image will not remove from the backing, use a hair dryer and carefully blow hot air on the backing of the image for approximately one minute. This will dry the image out and allow it to easily peel away.
  • Various frostings can be used, however, a very wet Whipped Cream or Non-Dairy Topping can cause the image to fade if left in the refrigerator.
  • If cakes are frozen, it is best to thaw slightly before applying the Icing Image.
  • You will note that the taste of the Icing Image is non-existent when cut and eaten with the slice of cake.
  • If printing a round or shaped image, just cut with scissors before peel-off.
  • DO NOT LEAVE IN DIRECT LIGHT OR SUNLIGHT. When storing, turn face down in a safe place where image will not get damaged.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%