Thumbtack

Business By youngj Updated 31 Aug 2017 , 12:00am by SandraSmiley

youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 30 Aug 2017 , 1:37am
post #1 of 7

I got on thumbtack, put my name out there posted pictures. I have gotten a lot of request for quotes, but have no landed any jobs yet. Has anyone been on this site and landed jobs, if so how long did it take you?  I didn't buy any credits I only reply to the free quotes. Probably won't buy any unless I have more than 1 person actually book with me.

I have had probably 2 to 3 good leads but I think everyone is just looking for the cheapest thing they can find. I made it clear all my batters and buttercream are from scratch. Anyone else have similar things happen? 

6 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 30 Aug 2017 , 3:40am
post #2 of 7

I am unfamiliar with Thumbtack, but the problem is universal.  It seems that most people want an over-the-top wow factor cake for the cost of a Twinkie.  

youngj Posted 30 Aug 2017 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 7

@SandraSmiley ‍ I priced a small wedding cake at $4 a serving gave her the price and I think it scared it away. I know you hobby bake but do you price per serving or just overall supply cost and labor?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Aug 2017 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 7

I also am totally unfamiliar w/Thumbtack.   I don't sell anymore like Sandra but from reading the boards I think per slice/serving is the best way to price - at least here in the states.    I'm sure you have read the many, many posts of price and see what ALL is included in coming up w/a price.  It sure varies a lot from area to area.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2017 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 7

I worked Thumbtack pretty consistently for a year.  Got absolutely nothing out of it, except sending out quotes.  It is filled with people looking for cheap stuff.

youngj Posted 30 Aug 2017 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 7

@leah_s ‍ Thank you so much for your feedback, thats what I needed to hear!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 Aug 2017 , 12:00am
post #7 of 7

Yes, @jyoung ‍, on the rare occasion that I sell a cake, I price by the serving.  Depending upon the design, I charge between $4.00 and $5.00 per serving.  I am in rural middle Tennessee and a lot of people turn down my bids, but as a hobby baker, I could not care less, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%