Icing Color

Decorating By tua17752 Updated 18 Aug 2017 , 8:09pm by kakeladi

tua17752 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tua17752 Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 4

Wondering if anyone can help me...im making a wedding cake for a friend and she wants the bottom tier a deep red/cranberry color. I have the icing at sort of a red brick color. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I can add to make it the color I need? In the photo I'm hold g the swatch in my hand and the icing is underneath. Thanks.

Icing Color

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 4

Looks to me like you need more red gel color and maybe even a little rose.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 18 Aug 2017 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 4

If you just colored it recently, I'd give it time to develop - you might be dark enough.  My buttercream also darkens as I am smoothing it onto the cake.  I try to get close to the color without matching because it darkens a shade or two on its own.  You might want to wait a few hours for it to develop and then spread some on some wax paper to see if its the right color...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Aug 2017 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 4

640Cake is right.......it's been some 7 hrs since she wrote that so maybe by now you are seeing the results you want. I think you might need to add some pink to what you already have.   Reds are very hard color/shades come up  with.  It takes time to develop as 640 said.  Usually I try to make up the red at least the night before. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%