Edible Gold Leaf?

Decorating By amandagregoryyy Updated 14 Aug 2017 , 12:27am by maybenot

amandagregoryyy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandagregoryyy Posted 11 Aug 2017 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all!! Does anyone know the site to order edible gold leaf? This will be my first time using it (for my wedding cake!) so I've never had to buy it before and don't know if there are certain brands that are better. I saw a couple on amazon but I'm not sure.  Any help is appreciated :)

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Aug 2017 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 7

Be prepared to pay mighty BIG bucks for real gold leaf.   I haven't used it for years but the last I remember it was about $120 for enough - if one was VERY creful - to cover maybe one 8" or 10" round.  I suggest you google "Eedible gold leaf" for complaies offering it now.   And......I'm not sure it's even legal in the US.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Aug 2017 , 12:32am
post #3 of 7

I do believe that it is legal and it is sold in a lot of places.  I've never used it, but I've watched several videos and read articles and one piece of advise that stands out is to be sure and order gold leaf with a backing because it makes it so much easier to apply.  It is more expensive, but the loose gold leaf seems to just float away.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Aug 2017 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 7

Sandra, I believe what you are seeing/talking about is not *edible* gold but a metal foil.  I've been through that several times :(  Only *real gold* sheets are edible and not here in the states.......it is a middle eastern thing.   This issue is much like the differences between that extra fine plastic glitter and real edible sparkles.   

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 13 Aug 2017 , 12:18am
post #5 of 7

Neither gold, nor silver, is approved by the FDA as food additive in the US. 

If something is sold as "edible gold" in the US, it is generally not a product of the US and is not imported as a food additive, but as a decorative item [that's how the importers get away with it].  Gold should be used on items that will not be eaten, such as a fake cake tier.

There are edible metallic luster dusts that use FDA certified ingredients and are safe to be consumed. Roxy & Rich makes a hybrid gold sparkle dust that fits the bill beautifully.  https://www.roxyandrich.com/food-coloring/hybrid-sparkle-dust

amandagregoryyy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandagregoryyy Posted 13 Aug 2017 , 4:48am
post #6 of 7

Woohoo! I actually am using it on a dummy cake!! The bottom tier will be foam. I wanted the edible gold sheets because I love how they look. However I was gunna add a touch of it to my second naked tier but I can do without it. Does anyone know why it's not approved here in the US? I wasn't aware of that. I was first thinking of spray the tier gold with my airbrush but I love the foily look to the edible leaf. Anyone have any alternatives so maybe I won't spend so much?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 14 Aug 2017 , 12:27am
post #7 of 7

When I spoke with the FDA about this, they weren't inclined to say why it's not approved for consumption in foods, just that it is not. It is approved for limited use in some drugs, but that doesn't carry over to foods.

My personal thoughts are that the means by which real metals are precipitated out and purified [cyanide can be involved] is varied and that purity can't be easily guaranteed.  FDA certified color additives are just that certified and controlled.

For a less expensive option on a fake tier, there is actually fake gold leaf.  Here's one example.  Still not cheap, but definitely cheaper.

http://www.michaels.com/gold-flakes-by-artminds/10358012.html#start=14

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%