A Couple Frosting Questions

Baking By kaybray3 Updated 5 Aug 2017 , 4:02am by aldonza

kaybray3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaybray3 Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All!

I have a few questions regarding frosting. I'm in PA and we have humidity so obviously shortening is used in my buttercream. I have been using regular shortening (Cake Boss's recipe) and find it to be ok. I have always wanted to try hi-ratio shortening. Is it worth the price increase and does it leave a greasy feel in your mouth?

My second inquiry is this: Has anyone used Wilton's High Humidity Icing? Do you like it and can it be used on the upside-down method? This is my go-to method for smooth sides so I'd hate to not be able to use it.

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry I have to say no to your ?s.   Just wanted to let you know someone has read your ?....but sorry I cannot help as I've never used that recipe, tried hi ratio or Wilton's icing.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 6

I use Sweetex (the old formula) all the time and it does not seem any more greasy than Crisco.  As far as being worth the extra cost, unless you are a professional doing a lot of cakes, I would say no.  There is not that much difference.  I bought a 50 pound box, which I split with a friend, and it was actually about the same price as Crisco.

I have not used any remade icing, but there are some good recipes on this site for stabilized buttercream.  I don't have time this minute to try and find them, but will look later.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Aug 2017 , 12:03am
post #4 of 6

Edna De La Cruz has a shop in hot & humid Florida, google her recipe and see what you think.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Aug 2017 , 1:52am
post #5 of 6

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Here is one of the recipes that are specifically for heat and humidity.  The other one (can't find the recipe) uses corn starch and flour to stablize the frosting.

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 5 Aug 2017 , 4:02am
post #6 of 6

Totally worth it! I use Alpine icing shortening. So smooth and fluffy and absolutely delicious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%