Cake And Gum Paste Flowers Need To Travel

Decorating By DSmo Updated 29 Sep 2017 , 4:04pm by -K8memphis

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 2:10am
post #1 of 16

Greetings all! It's been a while since I've been on. Lots of great stuff in the galleries!

Anyway, I'm hoping you all have some advice. I will be making a small wedding cake (6"-8"-10" tiers) that will be decorated with gum paste flowers -- probably roses and mums with some filler flowers. I usually make my petals very thin for a realistic look. However, the flowers are very fragile. My brother will be picking up the cake, so I'm thinking I'll have to assemble everything rather than relying on him to add the flowers on site. But he'll be driving it two hours away to the venue and I'm worried about the vibration in the car and petals breaking. Any recommendations on how to make the flowers less fragile? I'm thinking maybe I can make them a little thicker than I normally would (being sure to thin the edges to maintain that realistic look). Do you think that would be sufficient to strengthen them? Any other suggestions? 

Thanks for any recommendations!

15 replies
Nanassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanassweets Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 2:42am
post #2 of 16

Hello DSmo,

When I transport flowers, I use an egg carton. I clean it with Lysol kitchen cleaner (it's for kitchen use) let it dry for 24 hours then place my flowers in each cavity. If you're still uncomfortable, try lining each cavity with Kleenex (maybe folded once) for extra cushioning. I have placed a folded paper towel over my flowers before closing the lid to ensure stability. Do a trial run (transport some in egg carton) go for a ride to see. Hope this helps 

Nanassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanassweets Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 2:45am
post #3 of 16

Forgot - I prefer cardboard cartons over styrofoam, they seem to absorb shock better. 

DSmo Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 2:52am
post #4 of 16

I would normally do something like that, but I need to put the flowers on the cake before it leaves, so I don't have to rely on my brother to do it. But thank you for the suggestion.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 3:39am
post #5 of 16

@DSmo ‍, I have the same situation.  So far, I have delivered the cakes myself and put the flowers on the cake after I get there.  I have a 50th anniversary cake coming up and I plan to make the petals considerably thicker than my usual ones because they are so fragile, they break if you breathe on them.  I've also been experimenting with cold porcelaine, but so far do not have a good recipe.  I really love the realistic appearance of extremely thin petals, but only a cake decorator would notice the difference if they are a little thicker.

DSmo Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 3:47am
post #6 of 16

@SandraSmiley ‍, Same here -- I usually add the flowers on site, but won't be able to with this one. I have a little time -- the cake is in September -- so I think I'm gonna do a couple of test flowers and see how they come out. I've also been investigating wafer paper, but these flowers need to be pretty deep, vivid colors and I think that will be a problem with the wafer paper.

Good luck to both of us, eh? LOL

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 4:58am
post #7 of 16

@DSmo ‍, do you have an airbrush?  I've never done it because I do not have an airbrush, but it is my understanding that you can color wafer paper by airbrushing.  It also comes in colors, but I do not know how bright or dark.

DSmo Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 5:04am
post #8 of 16

@SandraSmiley ‍, I do have an airbrush, but from what I've seen online, I don't think even that will get me the rich color I need. Also, I'm concerned about the color potentially smearing or wiping away while working on the flowers. But it's definitely some experimenting I'll have to do.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 10:29pm
post #9 of 16

I don't think the color would smear or wipe away but spraying wafer paper to get deep tones would warp the petals (I think)....  I seem to remember color wafer paper - but the colors were more pastel and the paper at least double thick - if it's even still available.....I really don't think you want to go that route.  Stick w/fondant strengthened w/Tylose or thicker  gumpaste.

Regarding the use of  egg cartons - especially the cardboard ones.......there is a HUGE chance of passing on salmonela and it is really discouraged.  In fact I think if the health dept ever found someone using them they would destroy the flowers.

DSmo Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 16

@kakeladi ‍ Thanks for the info on the wafer paper. That's helpful!

I agree with you about the egg cartons. I never use them. Normally, I would transport flowers stuck in a styrofoam block, or in a cake box with lots of paper towels for cushion. For this cake, I'll need to have the flowers already on the cake. 

DSmo Posted 27 Sep 2017 , 1:07am
post #11 of 16

Just wanted to follow up ... I ended up just making the petals a little thicker than usual and didn't make the roses as full and open as usual. The cake and flowers made the 2-1/2 hour drive completely intact! whew! Here's a pic just before it left:

Cake And Gum Paste Flowers Need To Travel

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Sep 2017 , 3:50am
post #12 of 16

Gorgeous cake @DSmo ‍!  Love the color combination.

DSmo Posted 27 Sep 2017 , 10:49am
post #13 of 16

@SandraSmiley ‍ thank you!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Sep 2017 , 9:51pm
post #14 of 16

Yes,, very nice job - both of you cake maker and brother :)

DSmo Posted 28 Sep 2017 , 11:30pm
post #15 of 16

@kakeladi ‍ thank you! And yes, my brother did a great job minding the driving rules!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 4:04pm
post #16 of 16

so pretty

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%