Reversed Cake Stacking?

Decorating By Cbenaske Updated 3 Aug 2017 , 9:58pm by kakeladi

Cbenaske Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cbenaske Posted 2 Aug 2017 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 9

Have any of you ever played with the way to stack cakes? I've seen some cakes where the middle tier is smaller than the top tier. Something like a 8/6/10 cake. I'm intrigued by the idea and would love to play with it. Any advice y'all can give me? What is this kind of stacking called? Would making the upper tier a fake cake help? TIA

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2017 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 9

I idid a vase shaped cake like what you are describing.  Unfortunately the pix isn't very good :(  http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1294506/hourglass-with-strips     I call it hourglass style ubt don't know if that is correct.  What did you have in mind - what theme, look are you going for?  Using a cake dummy would not be necessary.    

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Aug 2017 , 12:21am
post #3 of 9

Yes, it would help to see an example.  @kakeladi ‍, your vase cake is beautiful!  I love the stripes.

Cbenaske Posted 3 Aug 2017 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 9

@kakeladi beautiful cake!! @sandrasmiley

Something like this but with round cakes. I saw the picture a bit ago but have no luck finding the cake again. It had a 10" base, 6" middle, and a 8" top tier. There isn't a particular theme yet, I want to play around with this idea before I propose it to clients.

Reversed Cake Stacking?

Cbenaske Posted 3 Aug 2017 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 9

@kakeladi @sandrasmile

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Aug 2017 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 9

It seems to me you would just need to be sure and use a very sturdy board under each tier and place your dowels near the outside edges (not too near!) to support the larger tier going on top.

Cbenaske Posted 3 Aug 2017 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 9

That's what I was thinking! Do you what this kind of stacking is called? @Sandrasmil

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Aug 2017 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 9

I have no idea, @Cbenaske ‍, if it has a particular name.  Perhaps one of the more experienced ladies, like @kakeladi ‍will know.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Aug 2017 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 9

Don't know if there is a name to that style.  Many cakes have been done like that using styro dummies as the small in between tiers. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%