Cream Cheese Icing For Under Fondant

Decorating By kstevens Updated 31 Jul 2017 , 2:52am by kstevens

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone :-)   

I have request for a carrot cake next week that will be covered in fondant.  I have a carrot cake recipe that is always a hit but I find the cream cheese icing is really soft and I'm not sure how well it will work under fondant.  I have tried adding extra icing sugar to it before to make it firmer but I just find it gets too sweet.  Does anyone have a recipe that they have successfully used under fondant and that they are willing to share?

Kelly

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 12

Earlene Moore has a very good cr ch b'cream recipe.  Google her site  - she has the recipe on there.  It would work very well under fondant.

kstevens Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 12

Thank you @kakeladi ‍ .  Have you made this recipe?  If so, how does it taste?  I don't typically make (or really like) shortening based icings so curious about this one tastes.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 12

@kstevens ‍, I like to use Lorann's Cream Cheese emulsion in my buttercream, along with vanilla.  It gives a nice, cream cheese flavor.

kstevens Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you @SandraSmiley ‍ .  I'll keep that in mind for another time as I do not have access to that product locally and would not receive it in time if I order it.

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 12

@kstevens ‍, I buy mine from Michael's.

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 12

@kakeladi ‍, it is light.  When I make a batch of buttercream, which is the same recipe you use, only doubled, I use about three tablespoons of emulsion, 1-1/2 each of cream cheese and vanilla.  If that is not enough to give me the flavor I want, I add more.  I use a lot of flavoring.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 12

I forget about cr ch emoltion..... yes it's a good option - maybe even added to Earlene/s recipe.  As for how it tastes, I think the  flavor is light.. more on the b'cream side.....I really don't taste the cr ch much - that's just my opinion.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 12

@kstevens ‍ Cream cheese icing is so soft that I'd torte the cake and put lots of lovely delicious cream cheese between the layers then just a thin coating outside under the fondant. 

kstevens Posted 30 Jul 2017 , 12:46am
post #10 of 12

@SandraSmiley ‍ I was in Michaels this afternoon to have a look as they had a 55% off coupon and they had the emulsion so score for me!  I guess because I've never used emulsions before I had not noticed them there.

@MBalaska ‍ I plan on making the cake two layers so that is a good idea to have the icing in between the layers and then just a thin coat on the outside.

Thank you all for your help :-)   It's always much appreciated!

Kelly

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 1:57am
post #11 of 12

You can make a good "mock" cream cheese icing by adding a bit of white balsamic vinegar to your regular buttercream.  Start small..1/4 teaspoon at a time until you get the flavor you want.

kstevens Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 2:52am
post #12 of 12

@Jeff_Arnett ‍ that sounds interesting.  Maybe I'll try that out on a cake for my own family.  My dad loves my carrot cake and has a birthday in September.  He's a little "fussy" so if it passes with him it should pass with everyone :-)   Thank you for the suggestion. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%