Fondant Wrinkles

Decorating By ktborden21 Updated 3 Jul 2017 , 8:44pm by kakeladi

ktborden21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktborden21 Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 3:05am
post #1 of 4

Im wondering what causes fondant wrinkles. After covering the cake in fondant sometimes i womt finish decorating the cake until the next day. Sometimes the fondant starts to wrinkle on the sides and on the top. What causes this? 

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 4

Some people think cakes settle and tell you to weigh down the layers w/a heavy book or such before applying the fondant.  Personally I have never had that problem and therefore never have weighed any of my cakes.  Could it be your fondant is too thick? 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 4

Are you leaving your cakes at room temperature? I have often had them start to soften and sag at room temp, so I keep them refrigerated (even covered with fondant) until time for delivery.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 4

I'm sure there is a vast difference in places that are hot & humid but I have done 99% of my decorating in HOT, dry CA  and never put cakes in the frig. I don't remember ever having them sag - especially to the point of wrinkles.  I have had a few 'blow outs'.  I didn't get into using fondant until the last maybe 10 yrs (of my 30+ yr career). 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%